1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Larry Sanders Show

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Simon_Cowbell, Dec 21, 2007.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Just watching the final episode again.

Goddamn, Jim Carrey is great with Shandling. Tom Petty gets in a fight with Greg Kinnear. Duchovny reprises his sexually ambiguous character. Sean Penn on there too, ripping "Garry Shandling's" acting ability.

I heartily recommend the Not Just The Best Of The Larry Sanders Show two-disc set as a gift.

2. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Another classic, classic HBO series.

I'd say it ranks just a notch below The Sopranos for me.

Hank Kingsley is one of my favorite all-time characters.

3. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

Target has it on sale this week for $17.99.

4. Chef

Chef Active Member

Rip Torn is a comedic genius.

As is Shandling.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Wow... what a great deal.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Just watched the "Making of documentary"...

At the end, Bruno Kirby does a bit with Garry.

Afterward, on handwritten font, Shandling says it was the last work Kirby ever did and that he died nine weeks later, incredibly quick, it seems, since he died from complications from leukemia. He looked healthy as ever in the piece.

Pretty poignant, and funny.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've sworn off buying DVDs of shows, but that might be a purchase I have to make...

8. John

John Well-Known Member

I bought the first season on DVD about five years ago and kept waiting for more — which never came until the Best of was released. This might be my favorite show of all time.

The most interesting thing about the Best of is the extras. Shandling went and interviewed a bunch of the people that were involved in the show, or guest starred, and it seems pretty obvious that he's on some sort of emotional/spiritual journey during the whole thing. The one with Sharon Stone, whom he apparently used to date, has some really good, awkward moments.

9. Simon_Cowbell

I wanted to correct myself and say that this is a four-disc set.

The personal visits are tremendous. Seinfeld. Burnett. Petty. Stone. Baldwin. Duchovny. Stewart.

10. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Funny - that's the DVD I've been watching lately. What a great show. And the extras on it are fantastic, as has been mentioned.

Shandling had two of the better - and groundbreaking - shows: Larry Sanders and It's Gary Shandling's Show.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

'Larry Sanders' is genius work.
    Glad to see mention of 'It's Garry Shandling's Show,' which was also brilliant, even if its reach was more than its grasp.

12. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

The Garry Shandling Show's theme song was tremendous!

Draft saved Draft deleted