1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Larry Legend retires again

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bob Cook, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Larry Bird stepping down as Indiana Pacers' president.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20120626/SPORTS04/120625056/-b-Larry-Bird-b-leaving-Pacers

Hell of a career: MVP and Finals MVP as a player, AND winner of Coach of the Year and Executive of the Year awards. Operated with the franchise on a handshake, but also Machiavellian enough to squeeze out one GM in favor of another before he stepped out the door (with Donnie Walsh possibly returning as Pacers president).

Is there any NBA player/coach/exec with a similar career? Jerry West comes to mind first.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

Lenny Wilkens, Don Nelson

3. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Pat Riley has now won championships in all three roles, something neither West nor Bird can claim. Although, of course, he doesn't have the HOF playing credentials of the latter two.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Larry will never have to wear a tie again in his life. I'm happy for him.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Obviously nobody in his class as a player -- not many are -- but those are good comparables for the afterlife. Probably neither actually achieved as much, though, even though they were at it for longer.

It's a well-earned retirement for Bird. I just hope he can find a way in his old age to exercise his hatred of Isiah Thomas. Seems like he needs to get that out every few years.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Bill Sharman, HOF as a player and as a coach (one of only three people with that honor), won titles as ABA coach and NBA coach, then served as Lakers GM and club president through the Showtime years.

And he convinced Wilt to participate in 11 a.m. game-day shootarounds --- his most incredible achievement.

7. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

Phil Jackson won a title as a player and turned out to be a quietly effective coach as well.

8. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I don't mean to be a spelling Nazi, but do you mean "exercise" (which I interpret to mean revisit that hatred every few years) or "exorcise" (eliminate it)?

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I do mean exercise as stated. Starting with the rivalry, continuing with his participation in the Dream Team freeze-out and especially with his public firing of Zeke as soon as he took the Pacers' reins, he has been a consistent non-fan. I doubt Bird (or anyone else really) wants to rid themselves of Isiah hate.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Not bad for the kid who used to pick up the garbage in the neighborhood back in the late 1970s.

11. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

He actually got two rings as a player in 1970 and 1973. Yeah, I agree the coaching deal worked out okay.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Bill Russell does not have executive on his resume but everything else and then some.

Draft saved Draft deleted