1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Larry LaRue, RIP

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ChrisLong, Nov 10, 2017.

1. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Some emails about Larry LaRue's passing started this morning. I did not know him very well. I think he was 68 and died without warning while visiting family in California.

He started his newspaper career with the guys at the Long Beach Press Telegram, covering the Angels. He was highly respected on that beat. He went to Tacoma in 1988, I think, to cover the Mariners. He spent nearly 30 years there and became a columnist.

Since it wasn't posted here, I thought I would do that tonight when I found that his wife went to Larry's Facebook page to post what follows:
    Larry LaRue
    10 hrs ·
    This is a very sad posting today. Larry passed away on November 6, 2017. It was very sudden, and he was in the company of family and friends that he loved.
    I have been making calls to notify those I could by phone, and have heard nothing but praise for the human being that Larry was. As his wife, this does not surprise me, but is heartening to hear all the same.
    After 30 plus years with him, I know the heart he had, and it was enormous. He was wise, talented, loving, easy going and made those around him feel better just for being in his presence.
    There will be no formal service, as he wished to keep things simple.
    His daughter Jessica and I would love to read or hear any memories of him that anyone would care to share. If anyone would like to make a donation in his name, any animal charity you might support would make him smile.
    He will be more than missed, and as he would say, "I never turn down prayers".
    Thank you all for being part of his wonderful life.
    Marie

2. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I think every baseball beat writer on the West Coast has talked about it on social media. RIP.

During my first gig in sports, would read his gamers on the McClatchy wire out of curiosity. Amazing some of the tales he wove on some bad Mariners teams.

Draft saved Draft deleted