1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Larry King runs with false R. Williams report on ESPN radio

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by usedtoBinthebiz, Aug 12, 2014.

1. This morning on the Colin Cowherd show, Larry King was a guest talking about Robin Williams. It was an interesting interview. But upon further review, King erred badly.

He said Williams took his own life by tying a bag around his head so he couldn't breathe. This is false and it's amazing King ran with it. I'm hoping Cowherd/ESPN radio ran a correction, but I didn't listen long enough to know if they did.

I can't believe King would just run with this misinformation on national radio. What's the purpose? He also spoke long about the alleged method of Williams' suicide, which was proven wrong by official police reports.

I know in today's get-it-first world, people rush to information or misinformation. But King was not a reporter here (that wouldn't have excused it either), just an interview subject. I'm stunned more aren't angry at this. Yes, Williams took his life, but I don't think saying the correct method is splitting hairs.

2. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

No one should ever have to know or discuss how someone killed them self.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Larry King isn't exactly renowned for tenacious factual reporting.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'm not much for ESPN Radio, but if there's one thing they do well it's book solid guests. Larry King does not qualify as one of those.

5. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Why is that?

6. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Ask yourself why you need to know. Does it make the matter better or worse.
    No, because it still happened.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

He'll just interview Abby Martin again and she'll blame America for the fuck-up.

8. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I can appreciate the sentiment, but this is a ridiculous argument.

Draft saved Draft deleted