1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Larry Johnson out for season? Rumor gaining steam, should be confirmed today

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Msaint, Nov 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Msaint

Msaint Member

Sorry if this has been posted already, didn't see it. Fox 31 in Denver reported yesterday that Larry Johnson will miss rest of season with a broken foot. Rotoworld today had this to say:

MyFox 31 in Denver is reporting that Larry Johnson has suffered a broken bone in his foot and will miss the rest of the season. We have confirmed separately that Johnson is waiting for final confirmation of the news to arrive Wednesday.
    No other major site is confirming the news yet, but sources close to Johnson are expecting the worst. If Johnson is indeed done for the season, Priest Holmes would get the first chance to take the lead back role in Johnson's absence, with Kolby Smith also seeing significant time. Don't drop Johnson until this can be confirmed by the Chiefs.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

3. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

It did look pretty bad Simon. My first thought after seeing the replay was "He could be done."

4. My fantasy league doesn't even have Kolby Smith - the backup after Priest Holmes - listed as a player ...

5. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I'm limited to three more moves in a league that I need RBs ... deciding if I should pull the trigger on Smith.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Holmes did not look good.

7. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Fuck. That is all.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Isn't it weird that a Denver TV station is breaking the news on this?

Get back to me when a KC media outlet has it.

9. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Good point. And then there's this, from the KC Star:

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/349977.html

"A Web site in Denver, citing a source within the Chiefs organization, <b>reported Tuesday that Johnson is out for the season because of a broken left foot, and then corrected its report to say it was the right foot.</b> Pete Moris, the team’s associate director of public relations, said the club — including Edwards and club president/general manager Carl Peterson — was unaware of any broken foot."

Oops!

10. Msaint

Msaint Member

Understand the skepticism, but I think FOX31 is all over this because DEN plays KC this weekend so the Chiefs are on the local radar. This feels legit to me, just my gut...and KC powers-that-be are behaving the same way they did with the Priest neck injury a couple years ago, i.e. like the Kremlin re: letting info out. Now, if I'm Herm Edwards I keep it secret as long as possible, perhps throw a "questionable" tag on him a la Belichick to keep Denver and other teams in upcoming weeks guessing....but the injury did indeed look terrible and I'd be shocked if he isn't done. And IMO Rotoworld wouldn't put themselves out on a limb citing their own "sources" as saying that all LJ is waiting for is confirmation today. Maybe this means KC is seeking a 2nd opinion, so all we can do is wait and see....still, if you have the roster space and need RB help it might be worth stashing Kolby Smith and/or Priest as KC has DEN, OAK and DET in the fantasy playoffs.

Here's the scouting report on Smith, FWIW:

"The good: Became the Cardinals’ starter in 2006 after an injury ended Michael Bush’s season. Smith responded with an outstanding effort. He displays a slashing style with the ability to run through tackles. A powerfully built runner who’s also a reliable receiver, though he still needs development in that area after limited opportunities. As a senior, he carried 154 times for 862 yards and seven TDs. He added 24 receptions for 217 yards. At the Combine, he ran 4.5 and 4.52 with 18 reps and a 38-inch vertical.

The bad: Lacks the top separation speed to make the big play with any consistency.

Outlook: Has the athletic ability to warrant NFL playing time, especially in short-yardage situations. A good early second-day pick with the upside to eventually be a starter with development. Could be one of the best bargains in the draft."

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

It "feels" legit? Call me when it "is" legit.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Agreed with Bubbler... this is coming off as fanboyish. Not quite Rhody fanboyish, but getting there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.