1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Larry Fitzgerald's dad

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Walter_Sobchak, Jan 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I had one guy whose son was one of the state's best amateur golfers. Couldn't cover him.
    Had another whose son played collegiate football in the state. Couldn't cover him.
    It isn't that hard.
    That said, doesn't sound like Mr. Fitzgerald's paper is a traditional paper.

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

agreed. which is why the whole story of big larry being a sportswriter covering the supe is overblown, imo. big larry isn't a typical sportswriter for a typical publication in any way, shape or form.

3. Editude

Editude Active Member

But he's receiving a credential, this year as well as many before, to act as something resembling an objective reporter. Not a big deal in the overall scheme, but the (admittedly proud) fanboy aspect of this is a little off-putting.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Will he be any less objective than Peter King?

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Last Friday on PTI, he picked the Cardinals to win 27-26. Said the passing game would make the difference.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

...has never been in my kitchen.

7. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

The closest situation to this that I can recall is Ross Newhan, the longtime Los Angeles Times baseball columnist, is the father of David Newhan, who has played for several major league teams.

The way I remember it, the elder Newhan never wrote about his son, until possibly his final column before leaving The Times staff, despite the hopes by some of his colleagues that he would write about his son.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Nice...

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Don't know what you mean by traditional. Personally, I wouldn't have a problem with him covering the Super Bowl, PROVIDED that he stayed away from writing a piece or anything involving his son. I would like to think that he can be professional enough to handle such an assignment.

10. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

you mean he wasn't grandfathered in?

11. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

He's wearing his son's jersey on press row. Do you really?

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

If he's wearing his son's jersey at press row covering an NFL game, I have a problem with it. If he's wearing his son't jersey at press row covering an NBA or college game, while I would ask him not to do so, don't see where that is a major problem. I know sports writers don't make a lot of money but I'm sure he can find something in his wardrobe to wear besides a football jersey while representing the newspaper.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.