1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Larry Fitzgerald's dad

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Walter_Sobchak, Jan 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Very true.
    Who the hell didn't know that Larry Fitzgerald's dad works for an African-American weekly in Minnesota and does radio stuff?
    And who really cares how much of an objective journalist he is?
    Here's a tip for a lot of y'all: Shitting all over somebody else doesn't make you any bigger or better.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

What's disappointing is that there is a general mean spiritedness going on that is completely uncalled for.

3. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i used to be a sports writer in the twin cities. fitz sr. was a regular at every home event with his gigantic tape recorder with a faded chicago bulls championship sticker affixed. every time he shoved that thing in kevin garnett's face, KG would (jokingly, i assume) get pissed that he had to talk into a tape recorder with a bulls sticker.

in five years covering sports there i never once read, let alone saw, anything he wrote. his work was never included in the clips packages either back when they gave out clips books. he always acted like a pro in the press boxes and at media events.

with that said, i am sure that he would have no problem admitting that he got his son the job as vikings ball boy. objectivity is critically important in this business but if your son had that kind of talent, would your son's future be more important than your own credibility? i can't imagine that his readers would give a shit that he used his position to get his son a job.

4. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

And it's not like he got him a job in the PR dept. I'm not sure he should sacrifice credibility for his son, but I don't think he sacrificed anything because his kid's a freaking ball boy. (I doubt he knew the extent of the kid's talent then).

5. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Yes. This happens all the time.

6. You're surprised?

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

I'm not surprised Evil. Just disappointed.

8. AreaMan

AreaMan Member

believe me, there's lots of folks around here with a severe case of diarrhea and it's not just crappin' on folks in the sports world...

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I think there's just a lot of wonderment, a lot of "I sure the hell didn't know that" about Fitzgerald's dad and about weeklies written by and for the black community. I guarantee most of us didn't know jack about Fitzgerald's dad before this thread.

10. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I think it's getting a bit overblown. I was in Minnesota sports media for years and never considered him a 'player' of any major magnitude.

It's easy to say this is a columnist or a sports writer from Minneapolis. Yet it's not like Larry Fitzgerald Sr is Sansevere, Powers, Reusse (or Barreiro from his attack-dog columnist days), although it's being made out to be as if this guy is a major columnist in Minneapolis. He's not a must-read after the latest Vikings collapse on Monday morning.

He's a guy who has churned out a nice career, writing for a niche weekly.

But he's not on the Mount Rushmore on MN Sports Media...

11. Notepad

Notepad Member

Nonetheless, one would think he is "enough of a journalist" to not wear a fucking jersey of the team he is going to cover this week to an event he covered last week.
    Or maybe he doesn't understand not to do things like that -- and that is why he never became a big name.

12. shockey

shockey Active Member

serious question: if any "big-time" daily columnist had a son playing in ANY championship game, wouldn't he/she recuse themelves from covering the event? or wouldn't his editor and/or publisher order him/her to do so?

mr. fitzgerald should spend the week luxuriating in the thrill it must be to have your child rise to such a key player on the country's biggest sports stage. i can't even begin to imagine what it's like for him.

that said, he should be sitting in the family section, imo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.