1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Larry Fitzgerald's dad

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Walter_Sobchak, Jan 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EagleMorph

EagleMorph Member

Operating costs, manufacturing costs, shipping and handling...

2. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Very true on the website. Tons of freelancers have their own sites for clips and for people to find them to write to them. And many of them probably have a lot lower profile than Fitzgerald Senior.

3. EagleMorph

EagleMorph Member

What about journalists that write memoirs? Are they not glorifying themselves, saying, "Look at how important I am! Look where I was in history! I met these people, I can tell these stories, nah nah nah!"

You're acting like we don't have egos. We all do, especially writers. We want to be read. Sure, maybe we get some distinct self-gratification out of the process, or completing the finished product. But we want to be read. Better yet, we want someone to acknowledge that they read our material and that they enjoyed it.

Is that any different?

4. VJ

VJ Member

This thread is disappointing and yet completely predictable.

5. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Looks like he's already facing the wrath of a lot of posters, no? I can see the issues with him covering a game in a jersey or whatever, if that's true. Did I miss a link? But if he's been covering Super Bowls for 28 years, he has not been doing that by riding his son't coattails until the last few years, right? I also think the implication that his son being a ball boy for the Vikes is a conflict of interest or came because he pulled some strings is a bit of a stretch. My dad was a journalist (a damn good one, I'd say), and I went to games and met some people that a lot of other kids didn't get a chance to because of that. I'm sure a lot of writers (possibly ones on here) have done similar things for their kids. And most of the photos on that site are of him and his son ... why shouldn't he be proud? I took the others to be simply evidence that he is "plugged in." I say the cut the guy some slack. I don't see the big deal on most of this stuff.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

He's not the first, and he won't be the last. I once saw Whitlock with a Ball State jersey and baseball cap sitting on press row at Allen Fieldhouse at a game I covered.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Wilbon weighs in:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/01/23/AR2009012302663.html

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

With all the REAL ethical problems facing journalism, ripping a sportswriter who wore his NFL star son's jersey to a ball game, and worrying about his reporting on said son at the Super Bowl seems like self-righteous, navel-gazing jackoffery to me.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Well said Michael. The guy has every right to proud. By all signs he has raised a great kid.

Another nice column on the Fitzgeralds by Lisa Olson

http://lisa-olson.fanhouse.com/2009/01/23/theres-more-to-fitzgeralds-phenomenon/

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Alleged domestic abuse aside.

http://www.tmz.com/2008/12/31/nfl-superstar-accused-of-baby-mama-beatdown/

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

great. big larry get to sit in while little larry fields questions on this all week. a touching tale.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

I am convinced now more than ever that people use these threads to get their jollies off. Why would anyone begrudge this guy for being proud of his son's accomplishments? If he ripped his son publicly, would that make many people happy?
    Amazing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.