1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Larry Fitzgerald's dad

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Walter_Sobchak, Jan 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, they'll let student papers cover media day. The game is a lot different.

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

All you need to know about how full of himself Fitz Sr. is this -- go to the "official web-site of Larry Fitzgerald" and see if you can determine if the site is about the father or the son.

I for one cannot.

I mean -- you go to the tab which reads "Larry's Bio" and it is about senior, not junior and he refers to himself as a "twin cities sports media giant" ---

Really? A guy at a weekly who'd be a nobody if his son wasn't one of the best receivers in the NFL is a sports media giant in that market?

And he used to do the Dennis Green weekly coaches show which is how he had the access to get his son on the field as a ball boy and whatnot so I don't think that is a conflict of interest, except for the fact that it is clear he is probably far more fan boy than actual reporter who'd break news and ask tough questions.

He's obviously harmless but, c'mon you've got to be shitting me.

3. Notepad

Notepad Member

Guy loses a lot of credibility and objectivity in my book for doing this. When you are on the job (as in covering a game) it is a total hatchet, hack, unprofessional move to wear a jersey - particularly of a team you are going to cover next week.
    Oh, and someone says he reads this forum. Well, Mr. Fitzgerald, if you read this post, understand that I think you cheapened our profession by wearing that jersey the other night.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Those who speculated the NFL grandfathers Super Bowl credentials for small papers are correct. Once you get one, if you keep applying, you get them again. The Boston Phoenix covered Super Bowls VI-XV, and it was a hippie alternative weekly at the time.

5. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

At the time? What would you call the Phoenix now?

6. Jay August

Jay August Member

The site you saw is Sr.'s site, not Jr.'s. That's why it's about Sr., not Jr.

7. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Right, right, because he is such a well known media giant that he needs his own web-site...... ::)

Again, it is a classic case of an overblown ego by someone connected to a legitimate star.

And I also found it funny that when you google Larry Fitzgerald, this is the web-site that comes up as the official web-site for the Cardinals receiver. I have a hard time believing that isn't by design.

8. EagleMorph

EagleMorph Member

1. That's more than likely google, or any other search engine, coming up with it. Or it's the webmaster of Fitzgerald, Sr. taking some creative license. I highly doubt that Larry Fitzgerald, Sr. is toying with a highly developed flash and HTML of his personal website along with running the sports section of a newspaper.

2. Take some Prilosec for your acidity towards society. I have friends, family, and others with their own personal websites. It makes quite a bit of sense for someone with a semi-public profile to have one. I've thought about doing the same and using my site as a catch-all for links where my articles appear, a new home for my blog, and more.

Yeesh. If anyone needed proof of the stereotype that sportswriters are bitter curmudgeons, they'd only have to read a good chunk of the posts on this website.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Not sure why some posters seem to want begrudge and belittle Fitz SR.

Me - I stand and applaud the guy for his accomplishments and for how he has raised his son.

Reading his bio he seems like a very resourceful guy that did not put all his eggs in one basket. It appears that he was able to parley his writing into a number of radio and tv gigs .

10. EagleMorph

EagleMorph Member

Yeah, and do you believe that the dad is the one that put it up?

Dad's site: http://www.larry-fitzgerald.com/
    Son's site: http://www.larry-fitzgerald.com/jr/

11. Jay August

Jay August Member

Since when does a person need to be established to have a website?

I not trying to argue about Sr.'s ego. Honestly I don't care if he's full of himself or not.

Why does his ego have to be rooted in the success of his son? He probably already had it, if he indeed does. Plenty of journalists have ego to burn.

I was just pointing out that you were on Sr.'s website, not Jr.'s. Thus your confusion.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Autographed Authentic NFL Arizona Cardinals Jerseys and Football Cards. Signed by Larry Fitzgerald, Jr. are available with portions of the proceeds going to the CAROL FITZGERALD MEMORIAL FUND at www.Larry-Fitzgerald.com forward your check or money order with your self addressed envelope to (NPN) at 4805 Portland Ave. Minneapolis, MN 55417 and allow 10 days and you will receive your purchase by mail.

Price: $350 per jersey.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.