1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Larry Fitzgerald's dad

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Walter_Sobchak, Jan 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3848921

So Rick Reilly has informed us this week that Larry Fitzgerald's pops is a sports reporter who has covered 28 Super Bowls. He apparently writes for a publication called the Minnesota Spokesman-Recorder.

Not being from the area, I had only heard of the Pioneer Press and Star-Tribune in terms of newspapers from the fine state of Minnesota. So I come to find out that the Spokesman-Recorder is a weekly.

My head is spinning with questions, but here are a few.

1. How is a weekly sending a reporter to a Super Bowl each year?
    2. Isn't all the attention being drawn to Mr. Fitzgerald, Sr. a bit dishonest (I saw a similar story in USA Today), as he's being portrayed as a asking-all-the-tough-questions beat reporter?
    3. Can anyone confirm this gentleman as being legitimate?

2. pallister

pallister Guest

No. 1 is a good question, but you can work at a weekly paper and still be 'legitimate.'

3. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

Didn't mean that as a slam on weekly reporters. But in my (albeit limited) experience of covering the NFL and MLB, I have not once seen a weekly reporter in the press box or at practice. Perhaps this is different in other parts of the country.

4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Is it a paper geared to the black community? Not at all uncommon for those papers to be represented in press boxes I've frequented.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

We've had this here before... but yeah, he's legit... can't find the link here, and best web one is a (ugh) Reilly column...

6. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

It's also very possible his paper isn't paying for his travel because Jr. is taking care of Pops.

7. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

That's probably very true, for the last couple of Super Bowls, at least. But it said in Reilly's story he's covered 38 Super Bowls. Not many weeklies I know have the budget to travel to 38 high school state tournaments, let alone 38 Super Bowls.

I know one thing, this weekly is not Gannett-owned. (/crossthreading)

Edited because I left the word NOT out of my last line.

8. joe king

joe king Active Member

Never mind the travel budget, how would a weekly paper in Minnesota be getting a Super Bowl credential in the first place?

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

How many people put Cardinals on their request way back in November?

I imagine there are vacancies.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Yeah, but a weekly in Minnesota getting a pass every year for 38 years seems odd.

As for the expense of it, perhaps Mr. Fitzgerald pays his own way simply so he can attend the Super Bowl each year. He wouldn't be the first writer at a small shop to do that. And he won't be the last.

11. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I looked it up. The paper is geared to the African-American community. If it's been 38 years, they were probably requesting credentials when the SB media list wasn't three miles long and thus got "grandfathered" in. I suspect the NFL would be sensitive to a request from a minority media outlet, too.

My guess is they went to the SB one year when the Vikings were in it, and kept going.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I will say when I lived in Phoenix there was a free weekly paper called The Phoenix New Times which I could easily see sending a person to the SB every year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.