1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Larry Coker's Job security deathwatch

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Almost_Famous, Sep 4, 2006.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Re: Larry Coker deathwatch

Solid point. His record wasn't as good as this, but Jim Donnan might still be the coach at Georgia if he'd been able to collect a few more wins against Georgia Tech or Florida.

2. leo1

leo1 Active Member

anyone who rips people on this thread for speculating about coker's job is kidding themselves. look, OF COURSE IT'S NOT FAIR TO FIRE THE GUY but that's the way it works down here. if you look at his 10 losses, you have to consider who he's lost to. just in the past two years, georgia tech and north carolina come to mind as games that were must wins. and the peach bowl was embarassing last year.

you can talk about wright all you want but miami no longer has the playmakers it used to have (the michael irvins, andre johnsons, reggie waynes, etc.) and that's on coker for failing to recruit. with his record, he'd have a lifetime contract at about 98 percent of division I schools, but whether you guys like it or not, the standards at miami are higher.

no, it's not fair to keep the standards that high. the only people you can blame are the people who set the standards, but that's reality.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Looking at their schedule, I don't think the Hurricanes will lose another game the rest of the year. 12-1 could very well get them to The Second Fucking Game in Glendale.

4. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

donnan's the opposite of nebraska -- he averaged 8 wins a year, but they fired him and hired a guy who wins 10 games a year.

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

A couple of thoughts:

1) This is why you schedule cupcakes at the beginning of the year.

2) As mentioned above, recruiting is way down under Coker, especially on offense. The shakeup last year, combined with an older coach with iffy job security can't bode well for the next year or two.

3) This is a school whose loyalty among fans is based solely on winning. UM isn't that big of a school and most fans at the OB are not alums.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

What fans they get anyway.
    Friend of mine was down there two years ago for the game against Virginia Tech that decided the ACC championship. Walked right up and bought good seats. He took some major cash thinking he was going to have to scalp and paid 30 bucks a pop.

Keep in mind Coker got fucked against Ohio State. By all rights, he should have been 25-0 and winner of two national championships.

The other side of that: The bowl game last year and scene afterward was a major blemish. Big time blemish.

Butch is going back next year. Mark that shit down right now.

7. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Wow.

I was about to type the Butch line when I saw this post.

Freaky.

Also, there is a photo out there that shows Sharpe CLEARLY interfering on the play.

If I find it, I will post it.

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Moddy, I lived down there for a few years and I was shocked at the lack of fan support. Unless it is FSU or UF, great tickets are easy to get.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

A friend mine explained Miami's sports scene this way:

Miami is not a sports town. It's an event town.

With the exception of the Dolphins, fans down there will only turn out for "big" games, regardless of how successful the team is.

10. leo1

leo1 Active Member

the other exception is if something becomes cool like the heat last year. i thought it was funny the first time i saw the notebook item in the maimi herald listing the celebrities in attendance but they did it for every single playoff game last year.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Well, Miami-VT that year determined the ACC champ. Pretty big game in the college world and there were at least 10,000 seats.

Wright doesn't suck. Is the line bad?

12. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Worse than "Do you come here often?"

Draft saved Draft deleted