1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Larry Coker's Job security deathwatch

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Almost_Famous, Sep 4, 2006.

1. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

I know, i know, he won a shitload of games in his first few years, but what has he done lately?
    And by lately, we mean last year.
    Nothing. Not beat FSU. Not win a bowl game.

Under 20 yards in the second half?

Coker may not survive the season, even with that joke of a schedule.

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Re: Larry Coker deathwatch

Can we at least get a "career" or "job" in the thread title?

You know, for tomorrow, when it's not right next to the game thread? And people might wake up and think he was in a car accident?

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Jesus Christ on a cracker, what idiotic hyperbole. He will not get fired for the 11-2 or 10-3 season he will have this year. With the way he helped the program wash the grime off again, he'll have to do a helluva lot worse to be canned. This isn't Notre Dame.

4. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Exactly. He will not get fired during the season. Or after. Reality check, though I know that's hard with U fanatics.

5. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Dude... what are you talking about?

Coker has pulled the NFL Barry Switzer.

Butch, who cleaned the joint up - not Coker, left the cupboard loaded (do you have a clue how many first rounders of Butch's were selected from 2002-2005... 16)?

Coker decided to shift major recruiting emphasis to Broward and Palm Beach County, and these players, with the exception of Reddick and Beason, have bombed fantastically.

The criticism of Coker, as nice a guy as he is, could not be lathered on enough.... the fucking stupid thread title by that moron notwithstanding.

6. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

He's, what, 53-10 in Miami?

I despise fans like you on my beat.

7. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

First, I am no fan.

Second, I despise lazy writers who simplify things in a manner like you did above.

Do some goddamned work and look for the truth.

Actually watching the games is a start.

8. dooley_womack1

Yeah, 53-10. What a fuckin' bum. And the program was in chaos at the end under Davis, who made the players hate him, and not in a Vince Lombardi way. At least Coker isn't going to bolt to the NFL. And having talent isn't enough; you have to make it do things as a team. Coker does that. Whoever has coached Colorado the past 10-15 years, for example, generally hasn't.

But in any event, one coach a year, at most, is fired or quits during the season. And it surely won't be a coach from a consistent top-15 program.

9. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

As much as this kills me, as a Miami fan and a pube hater, he's right.

Coker may not get "fired," but I think there's a better than even chance he's not back on the sideline next year.

10. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

If any coach meets that fate this year, it will be Rich Brooks.

11. dooley_womack1

If he goes 10-3, as a worst-case scenario, why the hell fire Coker? Is there just such a lack of perspective out there?

12. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

A) Like football, don't mind the Canes, but clearly not a 'fan'

B) This is real. If you think the important people at Miami are happy with how last season ended, coupled with this loss, plus recruiting issues that someone else mentioned .... the guy's in trouble. There was a chorus of unhappy folks after last season, and it will grow louder tomorrow morning.

The guy is successful, sure. He had a great run ... with the last guy's players. But the fact of the matter is that this program doesn't settle for losses to FSU, not winning national titles, and embarrassing bowl losses.

Did you see the staff shakeup? Why does a guy who is 53-9 overhaul four member of the coaching staff?

Draft saved Draft deleted