1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Larry Bortstein, LA-based horse racing writer, passes

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dave_Ammenheuser, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Larry Bortstein, a LA-based horse racing writer, passed away over the weekend. He wrote a few stories for us (The Press-Enterprise).

From Bloodhorse.com:

Veteran turf writer Larry Bortstein passed away in the early morning Jan. 31 at Arcadia Methodist Hospital after sustaining a pulmonary embolism Jan. 23. Bortstein, 67, never regained consciousness and had been on life support since being transported to Methodist following the embolism.

The link: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/55129/veteran-turf-writer-bortstein-dies

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Shit.
    RIP.

3. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Larry was a nice, nice person and rock-solid on horse race coverage.

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Larry was a really nice man. He called in for questions one day and I asked him a few. He said, "It's so nice to have an editor who knows horse racing." I had to tell him, "Larry, I really don't know shit about horse racing. I just read the AP story before I look at yours." He had a good laugh about that.

He had awful eyesight. There was a story that one of the Philly papers wanted to hire him in the 1980s or 1990s and he couldn't pass the physical.

I can't remember the particulars and can't find it online, but back in the 1990s, there was some kind of jockeys party at a bowling alley and one of them got drunk and physically attacked Larry. It made the AP wire at the time.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

RIP. Definitely a solid guy on the SoCal horse racing beat.

6. longtimecomin

longtimecomin Member

Super, super nice guy. I had not talked to him in several years, but sat next to him many times in the old Churchill Downs press box while we were covering the Kentucky Derby. He had a great love for the sport and was always willing to help when a horse racing novice liked me had questions. Very sorry to hear this and my best goes out to friends and family. Thanks for posting.

7. longtimecomin

longtimecomin Member

Super nice guy. I have not talked to him in seven years or so, but sat next to him many times in the old Churchill Downs press box while we were covering the Kentucky Derby. He had a great love for the sport and was always willing to help when a horse racing novice liked me had questions. Very sorry to hear this and my best goes out to friends and family. Thanks for posting.

Draft saved Draft deleted