1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lara Logan assaulted in Egypt

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by beanpole, Feb 15, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

2. YankeeFan

The nature and the motivations of Logan's attack were far different than Cooper's.

This is part of what I'm talking about when I say we patronize Islam.

We may have enlightened views about women's place in society, but those views are not universal.

Could what happened to Logan have happened in any lawless crowd? Maybe, but it happened in Cairo. As I've tried to show through several posts, sexual harassment (and even violence) is not uncommon in Egypt. Egyptians -- and foreigners who have travelled there -- know this.

And, to divorce the prevailing attitudes towards women in Egypt from Islam -- or at least the current state of Islam -- is naive.

Chief among the problems afflicting Islam is its views toward, and treatment of, women. In fact, I'd argue that its at the root of all of it's problems.

And, I think the line from the article I just posted is worth repeating: It is not cultural imperialism to state that women have the right not to be assaulted, regardless of race, creed, or country.

Civilize people from across the globe -- and from within the region -- need to speak out loudly and continually for the rights of women in Muslim nations.

3. YankeeFan

Sadly, this was not an isolated incident:

@forsoothsayer

Sandmonkey, it was most likely a regular mass assault such as our friend M also experienced on the same night.

4. YankeeFan

@RamyYaacoub Ramy Yaacoub

I am an Egyptian by heritage and I will NOT support the tourism campaign of #Egypt until something is done about sexual harassment.

@Sarahngb Sarahngb

Before we ask people to come to Egypt & help save our Tourism Industry, let's first make sure they won't be harassed on our streets. ENOUGH!

5. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

The more I've thought about it, the more I have to think CBS News released the details because it was worried about someone like TMZ reporting them. Unlikely such an attack to such a well-known person could be kept secret in media gossip circles.

Sad, but you can imagine how such a story would have been treated.

6. YankeeFan

Ugh. That's an ugly thought.

Not saying you're wrong, but it would really suck if that's why they released it.

7. YankeeFan

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Agree completely. Control the story before someone else controls it for you.

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Nir Rosen, US journo who has written for Time, The New Yorker, etc, forced to resign his fellowship at NYU following this bout with idiocy:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2011/02/16/2011-02-16_nir_rosen_us_journalist_trashes_cbs_lara_logan_on_twitter_after_sexual_assalt_in.html?r=news

10. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Good. What a jackass.

11. YankeeFan

@Sarahngb Sarahngb

I do feel bad about what happened to Lara Logan, but just as bad as I've ever felt for any women who went through that before. Not more.

The fact that Logan is a foreigner, a reporter working for a CBS, doesn't make this worse, just makes it more real for more people.

Those claiming that this was a hate-crime against foreigners are in denial of the true state of sexual-harassment in Egypt.

Unfortunately, sexual harassment in Egypt, does not discriminate against any kind of women. Age, race, religion or background.

It has been an issue for years with countless effort to counteract it and end it. Now, post Mubarak perhaps we'll have a chance.

I will apologize to Lara Logan, but my apology goes out to her & every woman who has ever had to go through any kind of sexual harasment.

Myself included

@monasosh monasosh

I know sexual harassment will be back in the streets,difference is I'll now call 4 ppl's help & rely on the Tahrir spirit in some :)

@waelkhairy88 Wael Khairy

Regardless of the risks taken to report on the ground when all walks of life walked Tahrir. What happened to Logan was unacceptable. Shame.

Those who assaulted Lara Logan should be put on trial. You flushed our international image down the toilet. Fuck you very much.

My thoughts are with Lara Logan. May she recover from the assault undertaken by low-lives in Egypt.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The paradigm changed, pronto, and he missed the memo.

Too bad -- for him.

Space under the slimy rock is open.

Draft saved Draft deleted