1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lara Logan assaulted in Egypt

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by beanpole, Feb 15, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

That has to be the case & it's brave of her to allow it to be put out there.

2. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

I agree. It's honestly hard for me to understand her reasoning, but it's certainly brave of her.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Awful. Truly scary.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Because it is nothing to be ashamed of.

I'm not saying you think it is. But I think the whole stigma about naming sexual assault victims has pounded it into their brains that it is something to be ashamed of and to feel fault because of. Perhaps Logan is thinking that by going public, it can prod more women into reporting sexual assaults when they occur - not to the media, but to the authorities.

5. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Great point, DW.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Plus, she's got two things that probably, on some level, make it easier for her to be public about it: she's pretty fearless, and she's already dealt with an ugly and needless public dissection of her personal life.

7. MrHavercamp

MrHavercamp Member

There's no completely safe way to cover a war or a revolution. I've always admired the courage of those journalists who are willing to take the risks associated with getting information out in the midst of very dangerous situations.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Posted this on the Journalism Board thread but it bears repeating here.

It's the height of fucking stupidity to put a woman in that situation and the producer who ok'd it should be out of work tonight.

You've got a large group of (mostly male) hyped-up protestors who just overthrew a dictator celebrating in what was essentially a country with very little law and order at that point. And it's a country whose male populace has very little regard for women to begin with. Yet people are surprised something like this could happen?

Peaceful protest or not, it was still an out-of-control mob.

There is absolutely no news value in putting her in that situation. There is however the shock value of putting an attractive woman in a dangerous situation. Sadly, that seems to have been more important to CBS than her safety.

As was pointed out on the other thread, send a crew in, get video as unobtrusively as possible and get the hell out. Let the correspondent do the stand up from someplace secure.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm sure she had no choice in the matter, what with being a lil 'ol girl and all.

::)

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Sometimes, protecting people from dangerous situations is more important than political correctness.

11. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

You've got that right, but the stupidity shown by some of these major anchors in covering the Egyptian protests was stunning. This sort of event required low key coverage with small cameras, yet you had Anderson Cooper and Katie Couric trying to do prolific standups right in the middle of what basically was a riot.

I don't know what that approach added to the story. They could have easily reported on the footage of the violence from a hotel room or other building overlooking the square.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

A good boss protects people from themselves.

Draft saved Draft deleted