1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Laptop suggestions?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by playthrough, May 13, 2008.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

My three-year-old Compaq Presario laptop is dying. It will give me 20 minutes of rapt attention, then turn very disinterested and slow. Instead of going into sleep mode after I leave it alone, it now shuts off. Kinda figured it was due for replacement soon, it was cheap (a $299 Best Buy doorbuster) and after three years of heavy everyday use it didn't owe me anything. I'm just miffed that it's crapping out in the middle of my busiest work time of the year.

So, any suggestions for a replacement? I don't lean toward expensive computers, as the bulk of my use is Microsoft Word and internet. Won't be doing any webpage building or home moviemaking or CD burning.

I guess I'd listen to suggestions on how to fix this one, but my very limited tech-knowhow thinks the motor is just fried. Doesn't sound good when I turne it on. And there's plenty of space on the hard drive left so I don't think the problem is there. And I don't see the use in paying some guy $100 or more to fix or try to fix when I can get something new for couple hundred more than that.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I just bought a nice Gateway for my mom today, $599 with 2GB of memory and 250GB on the hard drive. It's blue. :)

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Do. Not. Buy. Dell.

4. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Fixed.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

A.) I have never had a problem with a Dell.

B.) Vista is fine if you don't try to run it on 1GB. If you get at least 2GB, you're fine.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Not a huge fan of Vista, mostly b/c my old-ass Olympus (hi Moddy!) isn't compatible with it. So I'll probably have to buy a new recorder sooner than later. Booo. Other than that, though, no major complaints with Vista since I got this, coincidence, Compaq Presario at a Staples doorbuster the day after Thanksgiving.

7. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

My laptop is issued by the paper ... it's a dell latitude 610, I've had it 2 years and the only problem I had was covered under the warranty.
    I think it's pretty hardy and versatile.

8. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

I, too, have a Dell laptop Latitude D610, also issued by my company.
    It does everything that I need it to do and I've never had a problem with it.

9. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

I know some people aren't fond of Dell, but I've been buying their laptops for 10 years and have had minimal problems. The one hardware issue was handled in less than 24 hours because I had on-site service coverage. Even in that instance, the technician went the extra mile and gave the Inspiron's innards a thorough cleaning.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

ijag has an apple that needs some tweaking she'll sell you cheap...

And I have never had a problem with my Dell laptop.. but its also xp...

11. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

HEY! I'M NOT FOR SALE ANYWAY. JEEZ!

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yeah, he gives it away

Draft saved Draft deleted