1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Laptop Questions

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Okay. So I want to buy a laptop. But I'm not looking for anything fancy.

Basically, it needs to have wireless internet capabilities, an email program and web browser.

That's about it.

Should I go used? And if so, anyone know any good places (online or otherwise) to buy one?

I don't need this for layout. Basically it's for filing stories remotely and nothing more.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I wouldn't buy a used laptop. I've got a Dell, and I've never had a problem with it. Though many on this board are against Dell, I've enjoyed mine and use it for the same purposes you want.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Do not get a Dell. Dell has major issues with its screens and keyboards, plus they're overpriced.

Sonys and Toshibas are pretty good.

4. For use that simple, go buy one of those $500 Toshibas that Best Buy has on sale once or a month or so.

Unless you are going to buy a Mac or an upper-end Dell or Sony, don't expect to get more than two years of good use out of your purchase. If its functional for four years, be very happy. That's the reality of laptops.

5. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I have had several Dells, and they've all been very good.

I would say you can probably get just about any one, but when you see the bargain-basement price, be sure to see if that includes MS Office. A lot of them don't include Office, and they want to charge you another $150 or so to add it.
    If you don't have Office, you won't have MS Word, which could be problematic when you want to file a story that someone will be able to read at the other end, or when someone emails you an attachment.

I'd also suggest that if you are a sports writer, your laptop is your livelihood, so you may not want to just buy the cheapest one. Also, you don't want to regret in a few months that you didn't get a faster one, or one with more hard-drive space.

6. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Yeah, I've considered the livelihood thing. But where I work now, I'm literally within walking distance of my beat. And, this is more for freelance stuff and (because it's now mandated at work) blogging. BLOGS!!!!!!!!!!!1

7. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I've been very satisfied with my Dell computers, both my desktop and my laptop. Now my Mac at work is a different story, but I think that's because I have the G4 that Noah used to keep track of his inventory.

8. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I've used plenty of Dells and haven't had a problem. My company uses them and has very few problems with them. I would get Office unless you're positive you won't need it. In that case, try OpenOffice, which is free. The email and brower apps can also be downloaded for free.

9. I've got a 6 year old Mac iBook (first white models) and it still runs great for using MS Office, surfing the web, email. It's fast enough and it keeps on ticking. I would of course love to get a new one :) But this one is doing me right.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I have a Sony Vaio and have had it for four years with zero problems.

11. Mr. Homer

Mr. Homer Member

I think it's true about laptops not lasting long, but if you're nice to it, it should be around for a while. HPs are not too shabby, well, at least mine works well.

12. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I recommed low-end Sony VAIO.
    Perfect for the use you're wanting.

Draft saved Draft deleted