1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Laptop question

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by crimsonace, Mar 23, 2009.

1. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

My laptop crapped out a few weeks ago, and it needs replaced.

Question ... my budget is $400 or less.

I can get a mini for $299 or less that has XP instead of Vista (plus) and the small keyboard kind of worries me because, well, I type by feel.

I can get a cheap full-size (which does everything I need) for $399, but has Vista (minus), an HDMI port (plus ... I tend to feed streaming video through my TV), a normal-size keyboard and a larger screen.

I'm trying to save $$, and essentially, the computer is only used for word processing, Internet and occasional video streaming (lacking cable, I tend to make great use of ESPN360), as well as the occasional freelance assignment, where I'd be filing on deadline.

Advice?

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

If you are buying a laptop within that price range make sure you pay close attention to how many gigs you have vs. what operating system you are running. There are some brands out there like Toshiba and Acer that will give you a computer with 1GB of ram with Vista - but Vista needs a gig to run. You would have no room for anything else. That's all I can tell you. Oh and if the budget is a big deal, get an open box item. You might be able to get a full size for cheaper that way.

3. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

My wife (a computer tech at a major university) says get the one with Vista...for what you want it for, it would be the way to go. She says you can always upgrade later to get the system you want later

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

Doesn't Vista suck ass? Sometimes you can get free downgrades to XP.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I think Vista is solid. No problems with it in a year and a half of owning my laptop.

6. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I'll second that. I got a new laptop in January that has Vista. I can't say I've had any problems with it.

7. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Is any XP-era (or older) Windows software compatible with Vista?

I'm still running an ancient version of Office, which I'd rather install on a new computer rather than fork over another couple hundred for a new version (of course, I could just download OpenOffice and be done with it).

Draft saved Draft deleted