1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Laptop or desktop?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HeinekenMan, Dec 13, 2006.

1. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I've got a 21-inch monitor hooked up to my desktop at home, so that's great, especially from a design standpoint. But it's hard to beat sitting back in your recliner with a laptop and watching some good college hoops.

Given a choice, I vote laptop.

2. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

There are currently three computers up and running here at the Rose Garden -- one laptop (mine) and two desktops.

I have two printers hooked up to the newer desktop, and a wireless router thrown in so I can have my laptop in the living room, kitchen, etc.

If you have a family, I would definitely recommend a laptop/desktop combo. The kids use the computer a lot for homework and this way I don't have to fight with them to use the computer -- everyone knows that Mom's Laptop is strictly verboten.

Someone asked about what to look for -- I would recommend at least 1GB RAM, 100GB hard drive (especially if you do pictures), and a 2 plus gig chip. Those are the bare minimums I would recommend.

3. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

When checking out notebooks, find out how much RAM it can handle. Often, it is cheaper to buy a comptuer with less memory, buy extra online and uinstall it yourself (pretty easy) and RAM is relatively cheap to upgrade.

And with you built in wireless, remember to upgradde your printer to wireless capability.

Noptebooks rule!

4. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I bought a laptop a couple months ago and got a wireless router, figuring being able to sit at the front of my apartment on my couch and watch TV would beat this roller chair and a desk.

I find myself still using my desktop more.

5. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

Behavior modification just takes time.

6. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I have two laptops and three desktops in the house. Next year it is likely that a new desktop and laptop will be added. Each PC serves its own purpose.

Desktops are better. They are more stable, easier to upgrade and do not run on batteries. The laptops are portable so they are necessary for vacations and travel so that pictures can be downloaded or emails sent out.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

We have a laptop and desktop in the house. The laptop gets a lot more use.

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Eh, I think it's just that I'm more comfortable with PCs. I spent about the first three weeks on the laptop nonstop, now I just turn it on if I'm on my couch on the phone and get reminded of something.

Draft saved Draft deleted