1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Laptop help please - Rosie? Anyone?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HC, Apr 3, 2009.

1. HC

HC Well-Known Member

My CD-rom drive in my HP laptop has suddenly stopped working. In fact, if I try to play anything in it I get a message that essentially says that it can't be played because I don't have a CD drive. Is there something I can do or is it having to go into the shop?

Edit: I have rebooted a few times already.

2. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Try to re-install the drivers.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Buy a Mac. HA! ;D

4. carrie

carrie Active Member

Well, duh.

5. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

What he said. Go to the HP site and download all the drivers and reinstall them.

6. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

It's also possible a cable or two has come lose in the box. If you feel comfortable doing it, open up your computer and check that all connections to the CD drive in question are snug. While you're in there, used some canned air and blow all of the dust out... I do that once a year with my computer and when I don't, I'll start hearing crazy sounds from the fan or suddenly have my USB ports stop working on me.

Oh, and make sure you're grounded before you do it. static electricity + touching things on your motherboard = :(

If you're not comfortable doing this stuff, then yeah, take it to a shop. Let them check the drivers as well if you haven't already done so.

7. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Thing is most likely broke or the cables are loose. I haven't seen any sort of driver failure in years.

8. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure it's a driver problem. When I try to troubleshoot I get this message:

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

9. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Did you try to install a new driver?

10. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I've had no luck finding the darn thing. But it appears to be a common problem with the HP Pavillion

11. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Try this:
    http://www.hp.com/#Support

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

How about the drivers? Have you tried that yet?

Draft saved Draft deleted