1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Laptop geeks, help!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by wickedwritah, Feb 8, 2008.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

The pin connector -- or whatever you call the spot where you plug in your adapter -- is about to fail. Every day I have to jiggle it a little bit more to get it to work. Today, it was really bad.

Any tips to get the thing to work, to jerry-rig it? I had to replace it last year and it nearly cost me $200, a route I'd prefer to avoid going down again.

2. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Suggestion number one: Go to the shop where you had the connector repaired and ask them about any sort of warranty on their work. When those connectors fail, it's usually due to a soldering problem. (Sony Vaios, FXA models were infamous for this problem.)

Suggestion number two: Get a docking bay for your computer and plug it in from the docking bay.

3. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Solid advice.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Thanks, folks.

How much do docking bays cost? Are they wicked expensive? Are they generic, or manufacturer-specific?

5. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Depending on brand of laptop. But they will be $100+.
    EBay would be a nice try to find a used one for an older laptop.
    Could find one at a fraction of the cost.

Draft saved Draft deleted