1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Language on network TV in prime time

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl, Sep 25, 2008.

1. I love Mikey's stories.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I have references.

3. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

My point exactly. It's one of the only words that will get changed.

Now, let's try it.

pussycat, pussycat, pussycat, pussycat.

smelly pussycat

big, hairy, smelly pussycat with a fist in it.

Ok. that clearly didn't work.

pussy? Vag? tw*t? pussycat!

Why is that third one (which i added a * to after previewing it) ok but pussycat isn't?

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

schiez, I hope you never reproduce. And I mean that more than I might have ever meant anything including "I love you" and "Yes, that was the best I've ever had."

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

y question, Schiez, is if it didn't work the first time, why try spelling it out the other times? It's not like you're going to fool the computer. This isn't Ken Griffey Jr. Presents Major League Baseball, where the left fielder just might get stuck in the foul pole at Wrigley Field.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I'm always interested to hear discussion on this topic. We talked about it a bunch in my Comm Ethics class. Personally, as long as f bombs aren't being dropped on network TV, I couldn't care less. I think f bombs cross the line, obviously, but everything else is so ingrained in our society now (which is a whole other matter) that it doesn't bother me. And in any case, parenting should trump TV. Pay attention to what your kids are watching and use the channel blockers or whatever they're called.

7. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

That was awesome, Meat.

8. I think they're called cock blockers.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

that ain't bad.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

[​IMG]

We're going to America, where there are no cats.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. I don't mind that. I have kids, and they're not going to be in the living room watching TV at 8:40 unless it's a family deal, and I wouldn't put "Earl" in that realm.

What bothers me more is the lascivious ads for prime time shows that are played during the afternoon. I honestly see no problem with a show like Desperate Housewives even throwing in a "fuck" or "goddamn" or "shit" because it's on at 10 (right?), but for an ABC ad for the show to say the word "boobs" or "sex" (I've heard both) during a mid-afternoon ad with my kids in the room or nearby during a football or basketball game on a Saturday or Sunday, not cool. I'm not pulling this out of my ass, either, because both have happened.

Draft saved Draft deleted