1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Language on network TV in prime time

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl, Sep 25, 2008.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I feel like we've had this conversation, but I couldn't find anything in a search.

When did standards become so lax? I mean, I don't even flinch at someone using "bitch" in prime time any more. But on My Name Is Earl tonight, Joy walked into a public restroom and said "Fee, Fi, Fum, Fo, I smell the stank of a stank-ass ho."

Stank-ass ho? Really? On NBC? At 8:40 p.m.? On a Thursday?

Am I the only one bothered?

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Now THIS is irony!!!!!

3. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

What about that bothers you? Are you trying to think of the children? If so, it's up to individual parents to deem if their kids are ready to hear that sort of thing. Every kid is different. When/if I have kids, they'll be free to use any words they choose, so long as they understand the full meaning and impact of that word.

4. imjustagirl

If you'd pull your head out of your hindquarters, you'd realize I'm cursing a lot less over the past month or so. Better station in life, and stuff.

AND, I'm not doing it on national TV for kids to see.

5. Clever username

There's that, too, but she'll probably just say her use of that type of language on here will only be seen by adults, which I'm sure is mostly true. At least, that's what I'd say.

6. Clever username

Dammit! I was too late.

7. imjustagirl

No, you were also wrong.

There's a big difference between this site and NBC. If they were saying stank-ass ho on something like Style Network, it wouldn't bother me either.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

In all seriousness, I remember thinking back in the mid-90s that the rating system would result in more profane prime-time TV, because once you've got a warning sticker, it's hip to push the boundaries of what's acceptable. The recording industry didn't get a whole lot more wholesome after the warning stickers, did it?

Nice job you fucks!

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Truer words have never been written. Whatever happened to parents explaining to their children that just because you see something on TV or in a movie doesn't make it OK for them to do it or say it?

10. RossLT

RossLT Guest

It is bad to hear some of the stuff they say on TV. I certainly wouldn't want my kids, if I had some, to hear stank-ho on a show.

11. Clever username

Why not? It would bother me more there because it would seem so out of place. My Name is Earl has always used salty language, especially Joy. She's a piece of white trash and proudly written and performed as one. What else would you expect?

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

IJAG, you're aware that we're pretty much saying anything sort of the absolutely worst words.

The one you mentioned barely registers. Sadly.

The words mentioned should be brought into question. Worse, a word that isn't an FCC issue, like "hate," is flung around like it means nothing. That's a huge problem emerging ... at least I think so.

Draft saved Draft deleted