1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LANG merge begins

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TigerVols, Oct 21, 2011.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

One editor, for the price of three. Because the Valley and the LBC are so much alike.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/gossip/2011/10/giuliana-rancic-surgery-breast-cancer-lumpectomy-ivf-bill-rancic.html

2. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Member

wrong link?

3. Mr. X

Mr. X Member

Try this, http://www.laobserved.com/archive/2011/10/lang_papers_begin_the_ine.php#more

4. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Member

Probably not much left of the smaller papers, anyway. LANG now officially makes them bureaus.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yup. This was as inevitable as a sunset after the same stuff was announced with BANG.

So sad, but not surprising.

6. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

As usual, what MileHigh said.
    I've worked for this MF-er ... twice. Even in plush times, it was awful.
    If you're surprised by any of this, the sun coming up in the morning will give you chills, too.

7. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

Talked to a LANG photographer last night. They are waiting to be consolidated too. So sad. I would say the newsroom is a shell of what it used to be, but even the shell in crumbling.

8. MileHigh

SoCal is so different. There is a HUGE gulf of difference among the Valley, South Bay, Long Beach, OCQ, San Gabriel Valley, the I.E.

Hell, the I.E. alone is a massive difference -- just the 20-mile triangle from San Berdoo to Rancho Cucamonga to Riverside.

One size does not fit all. Once a great newspaper market, now just put together with masking tape, smoke and mirrors.

Again, so sad.

9. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

One of the suits who just quit BANG has some interesting parting shots. Jeff DeBalko, a money guy who I'm pretty sure none of us have ever heard of, suggests the company's problems go beyond what we're all facing adapting to the digital age...

"My 71-year-old mother called me a while back and told me that she was calling to cancel her local paper (one of ours). When I asked why, she said, ‘They keep raising the rates on me. I don’t care about the money so much but there is nothing in the paper any more about my local community. They used to write about people I know, places I know, and businesses nearby. Now there is none of that.’ Nothing speaks louder to the failure of local media than a long, slow disconnect from the communities they serve.”

http://sfppc.blogspot.com/2011/10/bangs-top-financial-executive-quits.html

10. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

I say yes, you are right that Southern California is very different but that does not mean that LANG will shut down most of the papers and make the LA Daily News the main newspaper and then just launch special 8-16 page local editions for the I.E. etc. I just don't see them launching a So Cal Tribune or anything like that.

11. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Active Member

Why not? Isn't that pretty much what has happened in the Bay Area? I am not defending further consolidation, but I see no reason that MediaNews will modify its behavior if advertising continues to decline.

12. MileHigh

Agree with this. They're moving in the direction already of doing what they did in NoCal and implementing it in SoCal. It would be more surprising at this point if it didn't happen.

Draft saved Draft deleted