1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lane Kiffin Pre-Press Conference Drama

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Ric Flair guy, Jan 16, 2010.

1. tmr

tmr Member

B.S., that TV guy was looking out for himself, that's it. If they would've said "TV no print," he'd be more than OK with it. They never said it was off the record, just no tape. But I understand his frustration, considering the news. He deserves credit from his boss and his TV peers, but he needs some work on finessing it. IN any event, the Tennessee SID is a doofus.

2. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

What was the outcome? How long did Kiffin speak? Did he take any questions?

I'll hold my judgment until then.

3. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Kiffin spoke for about a minute and took no questions.

4. beanpole

beanpole Member

I would hire the Channel 10 guy in a second.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Don't we all look out for ourselves? As for off the record, what good is it for the TV crew to be there if they can't get it on tape?

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

http://blogs.knoxnews.com/editor/2010/01/wbirs_bill_shory_is_my_hero.shtml

Lot of media members really showed their asses in that video.

"This guy don't represent us!"

"Thanks a lot, Bill!"

I agree. Thanks a lot, Bill, for standing up for journalism and the rights of the media.

It is beyond awesome that there is video of this.

7. cgsports12

cgsports12 New Member

A tremendous example of journalism. Bill Shory should be incredibly proud, and all true journalists should praise him for sticking with his core values and ethics under very difficult circumstances. Look at the guy's bio from WBIR. He's obviously a pro with a solid background who understands what TV journalism is all about.
    I'm a print guy, have been for 17 years. I think a lot of print people don't give a darn about TV or its ethics because we've probably seen them steal our news for years and pass it off as their own. But in this particular situation, the TV guy is absolutely correct in that it puts them at a competitive disadvantage if they cannot show the video, which captures emotions, facial expressions and everything else that mere words cannot. That's what makes TV images so revealing and powerful, and if you disagree, go watch Nixon sweat his way to losing in the 1960 presidential debate.
    If print people want to get upset because it may have screwed them out of a lengthier media opportunity, that's fine. I can totally understand that. But at the same time, don't rip on a guy who has the backbone to stick up for his values by refusing to agree to something that puts his station at a disadvantage.
    Great job, Bill. I'm sure this is a tough time for you because no news person ever wants to actually become the news. But you did what was right, and you, your station and every journalist should be proud of you.

8. spup1122

spup1122 New Member

Interesting byline on that blog entry. Isn't Jack McElroy the guy who threw his own reporter, Dave Hooker, under the bus when UT pulled his credential a few years back?

I think there's a thread about it here somewhere.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/32816/

Yeah, you're real principled, Jack. ::)

9. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Agree 100 percent.

10. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Posted on the Sports & News thread, but bears repeating:

Very interesting how, on this board, the majority support the tv producer.

On the journalism board, the majority are ripping him.

11. spup1122

spup1122 New Member

Fixed.

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

The identity of the messenger is immaterial, when the message itself is this sensible.

But it should be noted that while lauding Shory's actions, McElroy made no claim as to his own job performance. And I cannot dispute the points he makes here.

Draft saved Draft deleted