1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lane Kiffin, and the soft bigotry of lowered expectations

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Tucsondriver, Aug 16, 2009.

1. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

I don't normally lift from W's old campaign speeches, but I was watching Rome on ESPN yesterday, and was shocked to hear a comment Kiffin made. I'm paraphrasing, but he basically was touting how orderly the program is now, saying that nobody's been arrested in 7 months. To be fair, he was also talking about higher GPA's, but come on...

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Usually coaches who mention how orderly the program is and higher GPAs lose a lot of games.

Lane has been pretty good. No secondary violations in at least two months.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Obviously, I'm a fanboi but...

Isn't there a double standard here? After all, some website created the Fulmer Cup, given to the program with the most arrests. Now that Kiffin has finally brought discipline to a notoriously undisciplined program, he's getting criticized?

People in Knoxville are amazed at the sea change in attitude in the program. It's something to praise Kiffin for, not blast him.

As a side note, Kiffin SHOULD be blamed for sweating gallons on the Rome show. He looked like a mess.

4. Chef

Chef Active Member

You lost me after this.

5. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

You thing Bruce Pearl pulled him aside and said, "You know, you look more sympathetic if you're greased with sweat. Gives you a blue-collar vibe."?

The longer the guy keeps running his mouth, the more he looks like style with no substance. If that's the case, he will get shredded in the SEC. We'll see.

6. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

His first recruiting class seemed to have a lot of substance, though just like the coach himself, they haven't played a game yet. Probably a wee bit early to apply such tags to any of them.

7. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

That would be everydayshouldbesaturday.com and it is absolutely the biggest screaming riot on the Internet.

Draft saved Draft deleted