1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Landmark follows Gannett's lead: Furloughs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by franticscribe, Jan 26, 2009.

1. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I'm hearing from very reliable sources that at least one Landmark paper announced furloughs today and that all the other papers will have to follow suit.

Employees will be losing one paid work day each month from February to June.

2. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I probably missed this in the other Gannett thread, but are these furloughs for everyone in the company including the highest management or just for the worker bees whose wings keep getting clipped?

3. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

At Gannett it goes all the way to the top for non-union employees.

I'm not sure how high up Landmark will take it. What I was told was "all full-time employees" but I hadn't heard whether that would include the top executives.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

wait, did you say the furlough is for non-union employees? What about the unionized employees?

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

2 percent pay cut

6. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

It does sound like it's all of the Landmark properties.

I still say if another business did this, the editorial pages of these newspapers would be blasting the companies for not thinking about their workers' welfare.

7. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Of course they would. There's always been a double standard with publishers/editors.
    This was so predictable. For some reason, many chains and even private newspapers follow the lead of Gannett. That's like every NFL team copying what the Lions do.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Sent to me via PM:

---------

January 26, 2009

M E M O R A N D U M

To: All Employees

Subject: 2009 Unpaid Days Off and Employee Bonus Incentive Plan

As you are aware, we are in an unusually severe economic recession. Our revenues have continued to decline putting increasing pressure on our company’s finances. Despite the many actions we have taken to increase revenues and reduce costs, all signs point to a very difficult year in 2009. Our business is suffering because our customers are hurting. Fewer cars and houses are being sold and many retailers are struggling, therefore, fewer advertising dollars are available.

Consequently, we need to further reduce expenses and therefore will implement in LCNI and throughout all of Landmark Publishing 5 mandatory unpaid days off. These days will be scheduled one day per month through the end of June 2009. The first day will be President’s Day, February 16, with the remaining days to be announced shortly. Vacation days cannot be used for these days since our intent is to reduce payroll expense. Publishing schedules may require some employees to work on these designated days which will require the unpaid day to be scheduled at a different time during that same payroll period.

Our goal with this approach is to weather the storm while minimizing as much as possible the economic hardship on all LCNI employees. We are hopeful that by taking these steps to reduce costs and by focusing on our customers, we will meet our financial goals in 2009. You will play an important role in achieving these goals, therefore, you will be eligible for a bonus equal to 2% of your base pay if your operation meets its budget in 2009. This plan will be available for 2009, and more details will be provided by your manager in the near future.

These are challenging times, and I want to thank each of you for your hard work and dedication in the face of these circumstances. It is this spirit that will lead us through these times and position us well for the future.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Well, one day off a month is a lot easier to take in the pocketbook than what Gannett is doing.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

Damn, that's harsh but true.

11. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

It would save them even more money if, instead of making some folks switch their unpaid day, they just didn't publish a paper the day following each of the furloughs.

Or is that what another company is cooking up?

12. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

Not exactly. At least Gannett, from what I'm told, is telling employees to take the unpaid week off, and under no circumstances are they to do any work during that period. How is Landmark going to pull that off with one day off per month unpaid? I doubt there will be a mandate telling reporters they absolutely must turn off their cell phones and do no company work on that day.

Draft saved Draft deleted