1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Landmark attracting eye of Little Rock?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by steveu, May 19, 2008.

1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

http://www2.arkansasonline.com/news/2008/may/16/wehco-expresses-interest-buying-3-papers/?business/arkansas

For those who don't want to jump, the gist of the story is Wehco Media is exploring a purchase of three papers -- Norfolk, Roanoke and Greensboro. Wehco owns Arkansas Democrat-Gazette in Little Rock.

My two cents: This would be a good move in my opinion. Little Rock's paper offers excellent coverage, even if the design is a bit jumbled. The paper is surprisingly large for a city that size (and it is the state's paper of record).

The downside: If Wehco buys these three papers and it turns into a case of McClatchy buying Knight-Ridder. (In other words, let the cutbacks start flying!).

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Last I hear, the Landmark folks didn't think someone would buy the metro division whole. The community papers I believe are being brokered in a separate transaction.

The story didn't mention Annapolis, so I'm guessing the BalSun will end up with that property.

Sounds cautiously promising, at least in the sense that I don't recall a lot of hue and cry with Wehco that you would with MediaNews or Gannett.

3. Smartwriter

Smartwriter Member

I''m aware that the community papers are going in a separate deal. However, would Baltimore also try to get the Carroll County paper in Westminster along with Annapolis?

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Actually, I'm pretty sure now that's the two the Sun have expressed interest in. Had forgotten about Carroll County.

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Do the Landmark papers have unions in the newsroom or anywhere else?
    If they do, that will be a deal-breaker, unless they can bust the unions with the purchase.

6. No union at the Virginian-Pilot, which is the flagship paper for Landmark. And where spinchter muscles are clenched tightly as folks try to guess who will get the ax first.

Draft saved Draft deleted