1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lance Berkman

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnoopyBoy, May 15, 2008.

1. SnoopyBoy

SnoopyBoy Member

Has anyone seen the kind of year this guy is having? Oh my god. He's carried the Astros from a 6-12 start to a 25-17 record. They just went 6-1 on a trip to LA and SF.
    He has a 14-game hitting streak during which he has 7 homers, giving him 15 for the season. He pretty much leads the NL in every offensive category, except batting average. He's hitting nearly .400, though. Incredible to watch.
    This guy will rank as one of the best switch-hitters of all-time when it's over.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

So glad I traded him for Howie Kendrick and Brad Hawpe.

So glad.

[/pissedofffantasyplayer]

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Heard a stat today that Berkman's batting better than .600 for the month, which is unreal. Also heard him do an interview today on Rome -- he has some great stories.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

has never been in my kitchen.

5. Three minutes and nine seconds ... you're slipping, Doc.

6. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Hey Snoopy, we have a baseball thread. Come on over. Bunch of seamheads over there. But spnited gets pissed if you talk about your fantasy team.

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

One thing I liked about Berkman was last year, when he was not going well, he didn't hesitate to call himself out.

He was kept out of the lineup once last year and his quote was something to the effect "I'm sure they'll miss my .235 average and 15 RBIs." The numbers are just guesses, but they were definitely bad numbers at that point. It's refreshing when guys shoot straight like that.

8. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Don't think so ...

A-Rod 2007:
    April: 335/415/882
    May: 235/361/422

Berkman 2008:
    April: 303/383/657
    May: 587/648/1.130

Not even close to who is off to the better start.

But, let's re-look right before the All-Star game (A-Rod picked it up in June - 402/496/773), as A-Rod was at 316/412/663.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Berkman is a wildly popular guy here in Houston, especially since he's a Rice alum. And it's always a treat to have him on the local shows because he is one of the funniest players out there.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Was he one of the guys who was held hostage in their hotel room during spring training?

11. I know Morgan Ensberg and Aaron Miles were two of the players involved in the hostage incident.

12. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Keith Ginter was another one.

Berkman wasn't involved in it.

Draft saved Draft deleted