1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lampley in Beijing

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

http://www.punditreview.com/2008/08/jim-lampley-doesnt-belong-in-beijing/

I haven't heard anyone else make a stink about this and probably for good reason.
    Does this bother anyone?

2. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Sounds like Lamp's well qualified to work at ESPN.
    Anybody who'd object to his Huffington Post piece is probably too busy right now running around claiming Obama was valedictorian at a madrassah.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Never been a fan of his -- personal incidents aside. He's smarmy.

4. david kaye

david kaye Member

I'm just glad he no longer goes with the unibrow.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

To be honest, I didn't know anything about any of that, so it didn't bother me that he's there. His politics don't bother me a bit, he's entitled to his opinion no matter which side of the aisle it's on as long as it doesn't affect his sportscasting, which it does not.

He was never charged in the domestic abuse case and pleaded no contest to violating a restraining order when he was within 100 yards of his apartment. It's difficult to know what to make of those circumstances, but it's hard to say he shouldn't be in Beijing when there weren't even charges filed (this could be a totally erroneous assumption, but for them to not have even filed charges, I'm guessing the woman had no bruises or physical evidence of the abuse in question ... if she had a couple bruises on the wrists, you'd have to believe they'd file charges, right? I hope so, anyway.)

Personally, I think he should have been calling gymnastics with Harold Lederman instead of Al Trautwig and Tim Daggett. :D

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Somehow, he used to be PbP for the Indy 500 back in the day with ABC. ESPN Classic showed the '86 Indy 500, won by Bobby Rahal, whose owner was dying of cancer. I'm paraphrasing, but Lampley blurts out something like, "What a great moment for Jim Trueman, who will likely not be living much longer."

Awkward.

As Slappy eluded to, he's always been a mix of incompetent over-trying and smarminess. He comes off like one of the Omega's from Animal House.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I thought about the arrest and Googled it the first time I saw him during the Olympics. I found it odd, but then again, with so much coverage I could see where NBC might loosen restrictions on who they brought with so much airtime to fill.

8. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

I like Lampley's politics. He's been a guest host on the Ed Schultz show a few times.

9. markvid

markvid Guest

He's not violating any laws by being there.
    He's not injecting his political views into any of his hosting.

That said, he's not been good at all. Once said the wrong day as he came on the air, and sometimes just seems confused.

10. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I heard he's not 16, either.

11. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Certainly had he called it, he'd been crowing rather loudly about another conspiracy: the Chinese gymnastics program's plan to screw the world.

12. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Lampley's an Ebersol favorite all the way back to the Montreal Olympics. This is something like his 13th between ABC and NBC.

Draft saved Draft deleted