1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

lamest HR you've ever seen? (difficulty: no shot heard round the world)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by king cranium maximus IV, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Carter's home run just went over the wall at the Sky Dome. It was hard to tell about Jeter's, I mean the ball could have hit the wall above Hammonds. But Jeter's was very, very cheap.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Not Hammonds ... Tony Tarasco, whose glove was directly under Jeffrey Maier's when Maier reached over the wall and made the catch.

3. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

It was Tarasco? Jeez, time flies.

4. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Yeah, I remember that. I also remember thinking up to that night how funny it would be if, after all those tape-measure jobs he hit that year, his record-breaker would be one that just went over the fence or even, gasp, an inside-the-park homer. (Spnited, IIRC, the 62nd was a pretty hard hit line drive that just barely cleared the fence in left.)

In that vein, I remember a game between the Dodgers and Giants in 1978, when the Giants were an out or two away from winning the game when Lee Lacy hit a fly ball to right. Larry Herndon caught it but collided with right fielder Jack Clark. Both went down and you could see Herndon land flat on his back, and a split second later his glove hits the ground and then the ball is seen rolling out. Lacy of course was on his way to a IPHR to tie it up. (
    Epilogue: The Giants scored in the bottom of the ninth to win it.)

And this year: Angels-Dodgers. Gary Matthews hits it well to right but not out. Right fielder James Loney can't reach the fly ball and it hits the wall. Unfortunately, for the Dodgers, Loney's knee hits the wall also, down at the bottom part that isn't padded. Loney's down, with the ball next to him, and Matthews rounds the bases.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I ought to just lock the thread after this post and delete everything after. This is so the winner that Frank Perdue is ready to rise from the grave and cook spnited his dinner.

6. MilanWall

MilanWall Member

This would be my vote. After all that build-up, I was like...that little line drive was IT?

7. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

This is the first one I thought of. Very anti-climatic.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Let Frank rest in piece... send Giada over to cook with for me.

I was going to declare "end of thread" when I made the Jeter post but I would never be so pompous and self-serving as to do something like that

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Yeah but you'd have been right.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

OK, I'd have been right...

Now get Giada over here!

11. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Little League field, my hometown, 1988.

Kid on the mound threw his lame-ass change-up and I popped it sky high.

The problem? The wind was blowing out to centerfield at about 35 mph. It was so bad that when the infielders came in between innings, they were covered head-to-toe in dust.

My lame-ass pop-up kept floating and floating and cleared the fence by a single foot, if that.

I'm rounding the bases, and third baseman looks at me and says, "That was so pussy. You should stop right here and only take credit for a triple."

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Nothing cheap about Carter's at all

Draft saved Draft deleted