1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lamar Odom to IRS: Fines are a business expense...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Nov 9, 2010.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Go ahead and heap scorn on me:

While I am fighting the traffic everyday and working the salt mines every day to provide for my family, I really don't give a shit about a guy ODing on a weeklong fuck bender at the bunny ranch.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

3. poindexter

If you ever send me to a site named "yahoo celebrity" again, I will reach in to the interwebs and strangle you.

YankeeFan and doctorquant like this.
  4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

DW got a tip on that site while he was palling around at a North Clark Street bar yesterday afternoon ...

5. Dick Whitman

I do not darken the door of a Chicago bar that isn't in the South Loop.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Tell the truth, you hang at the same Chicago bars that Richard Marx does.

7. poindexter

My wife and I went to the bar at Shaw's Crab House and had a drink and seafood cocktail appetizer this summer.

You guys been there?

FileNotFound likes this.
  8. Dick Whitman

I have. My office has a big shindig there every summer for the new interns. The place I've spent the most time in in the city is a little hole-in-the-wall on Dearborn near the South Loop called "Brando's." It's modeled after a speakeasy, and has a front and back bar. $2 Old Styles. I would meet my one friend from law school there when he was clerking at the federal courthouse.

9. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Is there no expiration date after which Odom can no longer blame his terrible childhood?

Already knew all about his mom and dad because I've been hearing it periodically used as an excuse for nearly two decades now. It was regularly used during his sordid college years to explain myriad controversies including taking illegal payments, allegedly cheating on his SAT, a prostitution arrest (yes, appears lamar was into hookers even during his college years), it was used to explain his early career drug and alcohol woes back during his original clipper era, to explain his periodic relapses, his meltdown in Dallas, etc. Hell, it may've even been used to help explain him joining the Kardashian circus, I don't know....

He's a 35 year old man who's been paid piles of millions stacked upon other millions. This one ain't on mommy and daddy.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
    BTExpress likes this.
  10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

There really is no expiration date on that sort of thing. There's a reason that children of domestic abusers tend to grow up to be abusers themselves, for instance. Behavior learned during your formative years holds a tremendous influence on your adult behavior. And, when you look at a 35-year-old man with a world of talent and more money than he could ever need, it's instructive to look at the influences that may have led his downfall. It's not a matter of saying, "It's mommy and daddy's fault." It's understanding why someone who seemingly has everything he could ever want can't escape his own demons and self-destructive behavior.

As someone who knew him a very little bit personally, and who covered him, I absolutely think his father was a huge negative influence on him. And I always thought that even when Odom was being chosen fourth in NBA Draft and was seemingly on top of the world.

Yeah, it's no one's fault but his own that he spent a weekend in a brothel presumably doing heaps of drugs and hookers. But it's not difficult to understand that the tragedies mentioned in that tweet probably caused him to make such bad decisions because his childhood upbringing left him ill-equipped to overcome them.

11. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

Agree with above. Counting someone else's money and then determining that the dollars should wash away whatever traumas they have lived through or psychological issues that plague them doesn't cohere with reality, and Odom is but one example. It would be nice if life worked that way, but it clearly doesn't.

bigpern23 likes this.
  12. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

The money almost certainly made it worse.

HC likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted