1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lakers writer, Los Angeles News Group

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Michael_Anastasi, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Michael_Anastasi

Michael_Anastasi New Member

The Los Angeles News Group is seeking a beat writer to cover the Los Angeles Lakers. This is arguably one of the nation’s premier sports beats, and we are looking for a reporter who has demonstrably mastered all digital reporting tools, knows how to break news and own a beat. The successful applicant’s portfolio and work experience must show a deep understanding of social media and digital reporting, how they are integrated into daily workflow and where traditional print fits in the mix. LANG, with a Sunday circulation exceeding 450,000 over its nine daily titles, places a premium on unique enterprise and investigative reporting. This is not an entry-level job and prior NBA or other major college/professional experience is expected. To apply, send a cover letter, resume and appropriate portfolio to Gene Warnick, Sports Editor, Los Angeles News Group at gene.warnick@dailynews.com. Questions may be directed to that address as well.

2. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Is this position (and the UCLA one) meant to supplement the current beat writers at those jobs or to replace? Obviously you're looking to take the best person available, but if it's as a number two guy (or girl), then might that mean someone with a little less experience would qualify?

3. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

I'm pretty sure the UCLA job replaces the previous beat writer, who left for another job.

I'm wondering how much these jobs pay.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm trying to see if I can remember the nine papers.

LADN
    Long Beach
    San Bernadino
    Whittier
    Pasadena
    Torrance

I think there's a Redlands title... I can't remember the others. There are a ton of very good writers at the Daily News. I'd be curious if any of the other places other than Long Beach cover anything beyond local sports and preps.

This is a great job. It's the Lakers. You do well at this job you can write your own ticket.

5. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

Here's the URL for the Wikipedia page for the Los Angeles Newspaper group, which lists the names of all its newspapers, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Angeles_Newspaper_Group

6. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Nice to see they're going outside looking for some talent ... unlike the Dodgers beat, where it seems they defaulted to their guy from Ontario whose baseball writing experience consisted of covering Rancho Cucamonga. There's a lot to be desired there.

7. Mizzougrad96

How many papers have a Lakers beat writer?

And by that I mean one who travels. I know Riverside used to have one. I know the OCR used to have one. Hell, at one point I think San Diego had one, but that was a long, long time ago.

8. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

According to the Lakers' 2011-2012 media guide, the traveling writers were from the Los Angeles Times, Daily News, Orange County Register, ESPN and Lakers.com.

My recollection is that the Riverside Press-Enterprise can only cover "local" events, so when it comes to a college football game, its reporters only write about the players from its coverage area.

9. Mizzougrad96

Riverside used to have a Lakers writer who was very, very good... He broke significant news semi-regularly, which was unheard of on that beat. I think he was pretty tight with Shaq. I can't remember his name, although I would know it if I heard it...

10. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

My gut feeling is that you are describing Brad Turner, now of the Los Angeles Times. I believe he is now The Times Clippers beat writer.

11. Editude

Editude Active Member

Brad had (and has) some good NBA contacts, and he helps the Times have some solid local and national coverage. He's worked in Pasadena, one of this group's papers, but I can't see him leaving his spot.

12. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Brad is from Pasadena and went to high school with Michael Cooper. You can connect the dots from there.

Draft saved Draft deleted