1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lakers print reporter claims ESPN anchor stole story

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dcdream, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Dexter comes with the haymaker!

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Our local newscasters read stories straight from the paper all the time. They also let you know they're doing it.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If an ESPN anchor had to steal a story from the OCR, I wish it had been that infamous Whicker column.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'm amazed that people think they can cut and paste these days and get away with it. How can you think someone in your audience won't notice? It's lazy, it's wrong, but it's also just naive on a ridiculous level.

5. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Judith Griggs thinks you're all stupid

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

What a terrible lede to choose, too.

7. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

ESPN compels the anchor to issue a statement (that reads to me like an apology for getting caught, not for plagiarizing ... one time only, and only the time he got caught? right.)

Anyway ...

From Will Selva, ESPNews anchor:

“I made a horrible mistake and I’m deeply sorry. I did not live up to my high standards or ESPN’s. As I often do, I research local stories to use as background for writing my script. In this case, I cut and pasted the story with every intention of writing my own. I simply forgot and I completely understand why this is a major problem. I sincerely apologize for my sloppiness, especially to Kevin Ding, viewers and colleagues. In my 15 years in broadcast journalism, nothing like this has ever happened and I will make every effort to ensure it won’t happen again.”

From ESPN vice president of communications Josh Krulewitz:

“This is something we take extremely seriously and we’ve taken appropriate action. We looked into how it happened and found that this very bad mistake was made because he should have been more thorough, even on deadline, not because he was intentionally trying to claim someone else’s work as his own.”

http://lakers.ocregister.com/2010/12/28/espnews-plagiarizes-my-lakers-column/45706/

8. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

ESPNews' Will Selva's has released the version of his script that should have aired:

ESPNews has confirmed that Christmas isn’t over yet, Lakers fans.

The big game, it turns out, will be the game after the supposed Game of the Year, ESPNews has learned.

In San Antonio on Tuesday night, the Lakers will be out to give themselves and their fans the much-needed gift of hope, sources confirmed to ESPNews.

9. CRR13

CRR13 Member

What are the odds that he plagiarized his apology?

10. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

I see what you did there

11. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

They never seem to catch those unintentional mistakes and issue statements of apology before other people notice them.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Vince Doria fails to see the big deal.

Draft saved Draft deleted