1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lakers print reporter claims ESPN anchor stole story

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dcdream, Dec 29, 2010.

1. dcdream

dcdream Member

http://www.sportsbybrooks.com/espn-anchor-plagiarizes-lakers-reporters-story-29376

2. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Reading a lead verbatim?

Sheer balls.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Two questions:

1. Would it really be the anchor doing the stealing? Aren't the scripts written for them?

2. Isn't this pretty damn common? You can hear the newspaper rustling when they are doing news and sports on the radio.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Anchors largely write their own stuff.

Big difference between local station with no other way to get information and ESPN, Ace.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm not excusing it.

It's a cliche feature lede. Seems like an odd one to steal. Maybe the guy thought it was eminent domain or something.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

It was word for word. No excuse at all.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, there's no way to spin this one. He flat-out stole it.

8. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

I'm amazed that people think they can cut and paste these days and get away with it. How can you think someone in your audience won't notice? It's lazy, it's wrong, but it's also just naive on a ridiculous level.

9. CRR13

CRR13 Member

It's ESPN. That's all you need to know.

10. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I'm amazed that people think they can cut and paste these days and get away with it. How can you think someone in your audience won't notice? It's lazy, it's wrong, but it's also just naive on a ridiculous level.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Not surprising. Couple of weeks ago some TV-type started pumping me for sources on a story we'd run a day before. Got blown off, quickly ... unless I get your pay for a day.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Why on earth would a thread about ESPN anchors be under the journalism board?

Draft saved Draft deleted