1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lakers get Gasol

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Barsuk, Feb 1, 2008.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Mitch Kupchak might be Executive of the Year.

2. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

I think this benefits both teams, since Brown will give the Grizz some cap room come season's end.

I was reading the story on this, and it mentioned that Brown is making over 9 million.

The list of people who should be making 9 million rather than Kwame Brown is long and distinguished. It begins with "the rest of the entire NBA" and ends with "receptionists at urinal cake factories."

3. Can't argue with that ::)

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Fixed.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Brown is the biggest draft bust in any American sport, IMHO.

Think about the money and subsequent players traded for this bum.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I see your point, but there will be no close games between them. You have the fastest team playing the slowest team. Most times these games are not pretty and pretty lopsided.

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I won't say Brown was the biggest bust ever. But he's an awful, awful player that was comical to watch in games involving teams you don't care about. Brown is to basketball ineptitude what W is to presidential ineptitude.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Yet Michael Jordan, the player who endorsed this wonderful idea for a No. 1 overall pick, is running the Bobcats. Brilliant.

9. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

It's actually more like the biggest team playing the smallest, and those games are usually not pretty either (aside from occasional Nelliball wins). The Suns' weakness is on the boards and in the paint, where the Lakers crushed them earlier in the year when Bynum played. Adding Gasol just adds to that advantage.

10. Tripp McNeely

Tripp McNeely Member

Exactly, and the guys the Lakers got rid of (Brown, Crittenton) were non-factors in those games, so it's not like the Lakers are missing those ingredients that helped them vs. the Suns. They just added to it in a big way.

11. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Two No. 1 picks do seem a bit steep.

12. Tripp McNeely

Tripp McNeely Member

Keep in mind the Lakers are one of the youngest teams in the league and, you'd think with the addition of Gasol, they're going to be low No. 1s and they're staggered (2008, 2010). Plus if Gasol doesn't work out, the Lakers have a lot of assets now to trade to improve the team.

Draft saved Draft deleted