1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lakers get Gasol

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Barsuk, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22954575/

Hope this isn't a d_b. I don't even pay much attention to the NBA, but I'm keenly aware this is a big-time deal. Lakers get Gasol for Kwame Brown, Javaris Crittenton (sp?) and two first-round picks.

2. Tripp McNeely

Tripp McNeely Member

Wow. Great trade for the Lakers. Kwame Brown is a stiff. Crittenton has great potential, but he's behind Fisher and the young, but talented Jordan Farmer. Two first rounders mean little because the Lakers roster is really young anyway.
    No way the Lakers could rely on Lamar Odom as a No. 2 option. He's just not assertive enough.

When Bynum comes back, the Lakers lineup is Fisher, Kobe, Odom, Gasol and Bynum. Wow. That's pretty damn good.

3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

It's a big deal for Laker fans because they never again have to watch Kwame Brown drop a pass, miss a dunk, fire a free throw off the backboard, or get hurt. He may have been the worst Laker ever, and that includes Chuck Nevitt and Mike Smrek.

4. Good move for both, considering their options.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

As a Lakers fan, this is a fantastic move.

6. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Damn, that instantly makes the Lakers MUCH better. I think they're now legitimate contenders after Bynum gets healthy. Is an 80s flashback Celtics/Lakers finals a possibility?

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Great deal for LA

8. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Would this be a bad time to remind you that Caron Butler has blossomed into an all-star?

9. Kobe may not demand to be traded for months.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

They will be a tough, tough half-court team. They could also be a little plodding, but against many of the Western teams, plodding is a good thing.

The Suns either match up very poorly with them or very well.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Kwame's new jersey in Memphis:

[​IMG]

12. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I'm not sure I like the Lakers giving up two first round picks, but if you're going to make a move to win a title, this is a very good one.

Draft saved Draft deleted