1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lakers fire Mike Brown

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Nov 9, 2012.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Kupchak has a little blame since that bench is dreadful; Princeton offense? He knew that when he hired Brown. Still, never thought it was a good match from start. Sloan? Would be fantastic simply because he's a tremendous coach with respect and deserves a shot with great talent (even if aging). D'Antoni would be awesome to watch but team's too slow for his offense although Nash/Howard in his system would be sweet (what would Kobe do though?).

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Person could still physically beat the crap out of any current Laker. I'd go with him.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It seemed strange when they hired the guy in the first place... I wonder if they can convince Phil to come back. Kobe does love D'Antoni.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

As a Lakers fan -- thank goodness.

Should have never been hired in the first place. This is all Jim Buss, too, not Mitch. Jimmy wanted all vestiges of the Zen Era gone, so Shaw had no chance to get hired. And Kobe was never consulted on the hire.

You could see this coming in the preseason when they went 0-8.

Make the phone call to the 406 area code -- stat.

5. vicd

vicd Active Member

Stan Van Gundy!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  6. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Chef, I agree with 21. This dates back to last season as far as some of the issues that affected Brown and the Lakers. Obviously with the two new guys you'd think he'd have more of a grace period, but I'd prefer it now compared to when they're 25-17 but still looking confused. Was baffled when they hired him so quickly (like many Lakers fans, I wanted Adelman, although I love that the Wolves got him.).

Woj tweeted that D'Antoni had knee replacement and isn't on his feet yet, if that matters.

Stan Van Gundy for comedic purposes. Or Jeff for witty ones.

I figure Phil, D'Antoni or Sloan.

The two times the Lakers have replaced Phil, the replacement hasn't lasted 82 regular season games. Rudy T. and Brown. Not that he's a tough act to follow or anything.

I disagree with some folks -- Adande tweeted this -- who mentioned this is un-Laker like under Buss. They've had some in-season debacles plenty of times. Westhead, followed by the bizarre scene of Jerry West and Pat Riley being hired as co-coaches originally. Randy Pfund replaced by...Magic. Del Harris dumped early; Rodman brought in. No, they aren't Jerry Jones' Cowboys or Steinbrenner's Yankees. They're also not the Pittsburgh Steelers.

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Yes, but his " first open look" philosophy won't work with an old point guard, an old shooting guard, an old forward, an old power forward and a center who is in traction.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

L.A. Times: Assistant coach Bernie Bickerstaff will coach tonight's game against Golden State but the Lakers will conduct a national search for a long term replacement. Candidates could include Mike D'Antoni, Jerry Sloan, Nate McMillan and Phil Jackson.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

No way is Hades is Phil Jackson coming back. No amount of money is going to accomplish that. Why should he? His Hall of Fame legacy is secure, regardless of how 2011 ended.

D'Antoni would be an interesting choice. I'm sure Steve Nash would like it.

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Forgot about McMillan, he's a proven winner without superstars.

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Jr. Buss makes the call to Phil.

Buss: "Hey Coach, how is Montana?"

Phil: "Jimmy.....I'm smoking weed in hundred dollar bills, and fucking your sister. Whaddya want?"

Buss: "Oh....you're so funny.....tell Jeannie I said hello."

Phil: "The answer is no Jimmy. I'm not coming back. Period."

Buss: "We'll lock you in at 15 million over 2 years."

Phil: "No Jimmy."

Buss: "We'll throw in Magic's stake of the team."

Phil: "Schedule the presser for Tuesday Morning."

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I'm thinking the best fit is some young up and comer, a Vogel or Monty. Look at how Spoelstra did.

Draft saved Draft deleted