1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lakers fire Mike Brown

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Nov 9, 2012.

1. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

When I heard today's news, I thought it was great, as I assumed the sloppy drunk sorority chick had been denied in her desperate attempt at one last booty call. But it was even better to learn that the sloppy drunk sorority chick finally said no to the pompous douchebag frat boy after he demanded one too many blowjobs.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

This has turned into a debacle from the front office, and Zen, for one, isn't happy.

"I wish it would have been a little bit cleaner. It could have been much more circumspect and respectful of everybody that’s involved. It seemed slimy to be awoken with this kind of news. It’s just weird."

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Good rational take here by Hollinger.

http://m.espn.go.com/nba/story?storyId=8623445

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Can you sum it up for us Outsiders?

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Are you the one on the right, middle or left? Either way, stay gold.

[​IMG]

Hollinger's basic premise is that D'Antoni's teams were not actually "bad" at defense, just average, and that he is better at spacing under the new rules that any coach in the game. The meme that he "wasn't good enough to win a championship" is silly, since Phoenix was terrible before he got there (a 29-win team) and suddenly he made them so good, people's expectations got out of whack for the talent the Suns actually had on their roster. He also pokes a little hole in the idea that the Suns were a run, run, run team. The Seven Seconds or Less moniker came from a lot of quick plays with Nash early in the clock than it did running up and down the court. He doesn't think the Lakers have the 3-point shooting (yet) to make it work, and says that's going to be a weakness unless they find one, but says when Howard is healthy there is no reason why they shouldn't have a Top 10 defense.

6. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

FWIW, there is 0.00% similarity between the defensive ability of 2012 Metta World Peace and the 2004 Ron Artest that once won the defensive player of the year award.

I'm aware that the two technically share the same DNA, and the same half-crazed barely sane mindset, but in terms of athletic/defensive capabilities, you might as well be talking about two entirely different players, to go along with their entirely different names.

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Ponyboy Curtis

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Look at tapes at any game from before about 1990.

Up until then, it was VERY RARE for teams to run the shot clock down under 10 -- so much so that most teams had an assistant coach/trainer whose job it was to scream "Ten!! Ten!! Ten!!" any time it did.

Now, with the game smothered under milk-the-clock sludgeball bullshit, any time anybody takes a shot with more than 10 on the clock they're immediately painted as a wild-ass ghetto-ball ballhog and usually benched by the clipboard dictator on the sideline.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

That's a great point. How many times, particularly late in games, have we seen a guy stand near midcourt dribbling away as the clock ticks down? By the time, they get in their offense, there are maybe 5-6 seconds on the shot clock and you don't have time for more than one pass or a clearout. That is much easier to defend and when the defense reacts, someone ends up throwing up garbage to beat the buzzer.

Sheesh! Get in your half-court offense, pass the ball 2-3 times, move without the ball and take the first good shot that presents itself. If there are some seconds remaining on the shot clock, it won't count any less.

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I agree, I hate that "offense."

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I swear to god, 80% of all NBA (and BCS-level D-I) plays consist of the point guard bringing the ball over, dribbling the shot clock down under 10, making one pass to a forward, who either shoots or kicks out for a desperation 3. And that's pretty much it.

Draft saved Draft deleted