1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lakers fire Mike Brown

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Nov 9, 2012.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/lakers/2012/11/09/mike-brown-fired-by-lakers/1694785/

Deserves its own thread, not NBA Running Thread.

I've never seen anyone literally win a staredown so decisively.

2. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Didn't the owner come out and say Mike had nothing to worry about... Appears the pat on the back also included a knife!

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

So who does Kobe hire next?

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Sounds like Magic Johnson and Paul Westhead in 1981.

Part of the problem in the NBA is that a small group of star players have too much power. This is just the latest example.

That being said, I never understood why Brown was hired by the Lakers to start with. Never liked him when he was in Cleveland. Maybe they should go get Larry Brown, if he would tolerate the star show the NBA has become nowadays.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

What a colossal mistake by Byron Scott to take the Cavs job a couple years ago rather than just wait til Phil retired and take over last season.

6. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

Not the shortest tenure ever, say Mike Price and George O'Leary.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Except that management had decided to fire Westhead days before Magic's outburst. Once they had decided to dump Westhead, Sharman asked Buss to wait a week or so to pull the trigger so he could see who was out there as a possible replacement.

Then Magic has his outburst, and Buss is flummoxed.

"NOW what do I do?" he asked Sharman and West. "If I fire Westhead, people will think it was because of Magic. And if I don't fire him, it WILL be because of Magic."

So they went ahead and stuck with the original plan, knowing Magic would be taking the heat for it.

"Magic fired Westhead" is just another one of those myths that will not die.

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

The players were already miserable during training camp...long practices with too much standing around, too much talking. None of the stars are 100%, the bench sucks, Brown was already on thin ice after season's early exit. If you're going to make the change eventually, make it now. But not going to be an easy fix for the next guy.

9. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Who are you blaming this on? Kobe? Okay.

Not Brown for mismanaging rotations, minutes, offense, defense. Kobe fired him. Got it.

10. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Go easy on Mark. It's confusing for him to choose which person to pin the blame on as both of them are black.

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Wow.

5 games in. 77 games left.

Jumping the gun maybe?

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Who's up now?

Back to Phil?
    D'Antoni?
    Kiss and make-up with Shaw?
    Stick with Person?