1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Laker great has leukemia

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Nov 10, 2009.

1. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

he said "great"

2. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Don't you know that anything with Lakers in the headline gets more
    This.

Besides, don't you know that anything with Lakers in the headline gets exponentially more readers/hits than almost anything else in L.A. sports sections/on sports Web sites?

That said, take care, Kareem.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Former actor, who had bit part in Airplane, Fletch, has cancer

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Former USBL coach, Knicks scout has leukemia

5. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

One of the first sports books I really read was one of his auto-bios (I think he's done three), "Giant Steps." It really explained much of his distant attitude, and made me a Laker fan for life -- even through the post-Magic/pre-Kobe years and even though I can't stand the NBA now.

A lot of folks took advantage of him, got racial, eschewed him when he converted to Islam, never tried to understand him -- and each time, he retreated further and further back into himself. Reading that, it was very easy to understand. It's been good to see him opening up again over the last 10-15 years.

I really hope he beats this and hangs around for a long, long time.

6. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Optimum word highlighted
    Good luck to Kareem

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Kareem-ia?

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

9. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

CML is very, very treatable with the advent of a few "miracle" drugs (Gleevec, I believe, is the big one). Jason Blake is playing in the NHL with this disease.

A little more information about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_myelogenous_leukemia . It functions a lot more like a chronic illness and a lot less type typically aggressive cancers of the bone marrow.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Leu-keem Abdul-Jabbar?

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Worst. Haiku. Ever.

Best of luck to Laker great

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Former Buck, traded away for Elmore Smith, Brian Winters, Dave Meyers and Junior Bridgeman, is ailing

Draft saved Draft deleted