1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lakeland's turn to say buy(out)buy!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Feb 27, 2009.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

School teachers in Ohio were able to use a similar formula to retire early and start drawing their pension (or whatever it was) from the state, so I don't think it's technically age discrimination since it's voluntary.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

foreman says these jobs are goin' boys ...

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Damn... I would be 61.

I got old in a hurry.

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Mizzou, I'm banking on that age being a little younger if it ever comes to that. :)

I'm 85 by that formula, by the way.

5. Smartwriter

Smartwriter Member

Didn't the New York Times Co. buy the Winter Haven News Chief sometime last year?

6. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

spot on... I've been thinking about that song the last few days

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

and that sucks because it's true.

8. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

Yes, it did, but I think it's part of The Ledger Publishing Company instead of standing as its own entity within NYTCO like Gainesville, Sarasota, etc.

9. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

lots going on in NYTRENG. lots.

10. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

I heard about Scanlon the other day and it broke my heart. Not only is Dick a great guy but a damn talented writer and a fountain of knowledge when it came to sports.

Mike Cobb is still there, thankfully. Mike's an awesome guy, tireless worker and a damn fine human being. If he goes I don't know what the Ledger will do since he updates their online stuff and produces at least two or three or their sports web videos, and he stays sometimes until 3 a.m. to do that.

The News Chief actually stands on its own. It has its own writers and they'll occasionally use Ledger stories to fill gaps, especially for sports stories. But they don't like having Ledger stories in their paper.

11. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

GateHouse bought the News Chief (last I heard).

12. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

And then they quickly sold it.

Draft saved Draft deleted