1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Laid-off Gannett sports editor raps company in final column

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by gannettblog, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

About 25K on Sunday's. Award-winning, just like every other paper.

2. Desk_dude

Desk_dude Member

This paper used to be 60,000 in the 1990s.

A better column would have been to explain how cutbacks have diminished the quality of the paper. How staffing numbers are down. How pages are down elsewhere. And despite all these problems, he tried his best to put together a great section.

He didn't really give the readers background in Gannett downsizing. But then again the readers probably have already figured out what's been happening over the years.

3. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

From a journalistic standpoint, that might seem a better route to go.

But readers don't/wouldn't care about that.

The personal story/perspective is much more impacting and relate-able, and it is, more often than not, the way to go with today's readers. Especially if he has already been serving as a columnist, anyway.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Ha! You must not work at a newspaper.

5. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

This is the same paper that ran the "Fuck You TJ" column when Simers was sports editor. So there is a proud history.

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Folks on here have alluded to Simers' idiocy when he worked in Jersey, and I'd love to know the details on that one.

7. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/31244/

8. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Au contraire, mon frère. If I should be willing to accept criticism -- and I am, as a writer -- then others should be willing to do so, too.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Write a column criticizing your company and see how long you keep your job.

10. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

Congrats to him for speaking his mind - and putting it in print. Not sure how I would have handled that situation.

Now we'll see if there are any consequences to his actions. He's not the first and won't be the last to be treated like that, but it's still a sad situation. Prayers and best wishes to him and his family.

11. FROM THE COLUMN:

"I've worked through pneumonia many times, bronchitis, pleurisy, broken ribs, migraines, a gallbladder that stopped functioning for six months and many other ailments that I ignored doctors orders to stay home."

Maybe they were afraid he was going to drop dead one day

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Thanks, Frank, for the link. Sadly, I don't remember that thread, but folks' behavior there says a lot about Whitlock and some of other people who posted.

Draft saved Draft deleted