1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Laid-off Gannett sports editor raps company in final column

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by gannettblog, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Proves there are no copy editors left.

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I had to sign an agreement saying I wouldn't write or say anything negative about the company to receive my meager severance.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

He just found out what many on here already knew, Gannett eats its young.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

OK, if you're Woody Paige, Bill Conlin, Bob Ryan or a handful of others, an exception should be made.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

Yeah, I hear you but those are few a far between. Joe Blow who has written a column for 20-plus years at the Bumfuck Times also deserves an opportunity to say thanks for the memories.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, I wasn't implying that those at smaller papers should be left out. :D

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

I know. Just messin wit cha!

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Hmm. Just wrote one about a month ago, upon leaving my shop on excellent terms after more than 26 years there. Didn't get maudlin, or emotional, or kiss anyone's butt. I just recalled some events and people I enjoyed covering/working with, and how much I appreciated the readers putting up with me for that long, in less than 600 words. I was amazed by the tone and amount of feedback I received, much of it from readers I'd never met.

What I discovered was how big a role newspapers still play in a smaller market like mine, and how many people still do read us every day, appreciate us for what we do, and remember the things we wrote about them and/or their children/family/friends.

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

That's right on.

Henceforth:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

First thought that hit me reading this was: "Man, his journalism career's over."

Next thought was: "Maybe that was the point."

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

There were 100 better ways for him to word this column and still make the point about Gannett's greed, etc. Big fail on his part.

12. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I think Joe Posnanski might have had the worst farewell column of all time.

SI hired Poz but then the KC Star still asked him to write from time to time, probably to save their own butt publicly after losing their most beloved writer.

So Poz's farewell column is essentially "I'll miss this place, but I won't miss it much because I'll still be here." And the reader responds, "what the fuck??" I think Poz wrote like 2 more columns for the Star and then he was gone.

Jason Whitlock, meanwhile, wrote his farewell column in the form of a 3-hour radio show. His grenades made an appearance too.

So yeah, farewell columns are bad even for the best in the biz.

Draft saved Draft deleted