1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Laid off and and rehired

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MTM, Dec 12, 2008.

1. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

i thought this was going to be a thread about Tommy Tuberville

2. Hookem06

Hookem06 New Member

It's my understanding that you can't return to the same shop until after your severance pay runs up. That could be wrong, but it's what I was told.

3. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

It sounds like you want the job, and they want you back.

There's no problem here.

Don't bring up the severance pay question. It is doubtful the company would ask you back if/until it was financial/legally feasible to do so. So, if they bring you back, don't worry about it unless/until they bring it up.

4. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

But when/if they bring it up, make sure they aren't asking you to give back the portion that would have covered your salary while you were out. Otherwise, it becomes an unpaid leave of absence for you at the front end, better maybe than unemployment at the back end but still a bad deal.

5. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I'm coming back and keeping all the severance.
    The upshot is I got a three-week vacation, being paid for unused accrued vacation time, and what amounts to a bonus (severance pay).
    What I gave up is three months of health insurance coverage and the ability to get any vacation until next fall.
    I'll have a different job than before, but it's better than no job.

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Good for you! Congrats, man!

Draft saved Draft deleted