1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Laid off and and rehired

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MTM, Dec 12, 2008.

1. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Has anyone been laid off and then rehired by their newspaper?
    What were the pros and cons of returning? Did they make you pay back severance? Did health insurance start anew?
    I've been out about a month and may be getting an offer from my previous employer and I'm wondering what's best.
  2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Are you asking what's the better choice between not having a job and having a job? Or are you asking what's the better choice of having your old job compared to some other job that is an option for you?
  3. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I guess I'm wondering if here are pitfalls. Mostly, are they going to want my severance money back.
  4. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Would you consider that a pitfall if the other option is not having a job? Not being glib, I'm asking with sincerity.
  5. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I appreciate your candor.
    It would be a different position than I had before, but it's a job in a market where there aren't many, so I'm sure I will accept.
    I was just wondering if anyone had a bad expereince doing this.
  6. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I think it would matter entirely on how you left the place. If they're asking you back, it sounds like you didn't burn any bridges on the way out. It's not like there is an array of open positions, so you might as well take it and keep looking for a new job / applying to new places if you're unhappy there.
  7. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Active Member

If they give you the ax and pay you your severance pay, then later ask you to rejoin the staff, can they ask for the severance pay back?
    I guess I realize they can always ask whatever they want, it's a free country. But they still fired you and gave you the severance pay. At that point you're just another person looking for a job. It's not like they'd hire Joe Schmoe and ask for his severance pay from his last job (again, maybe they would). It would be like you paying them for being unemployed.
    My answer if they asked for the severance pay would be, "No, I was entitled to that money and I had to live on that while I was unemployed."
  8. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Didn't you have to sign something? The terms should be laid out in the contract.
  9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Why don't you ask them if they would expect you to return the severance. They would be the ones to answer that, not us.

As for fossy's reply, then their answer can be "Well, in that case your still unemployed. Good-bye."
  10. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Severence payment is usually based on your past record of employment and is in compensation for that particular severence.

It would be unsusal for them to ask for it back.

I don't think that I would bring it up.
  11. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Happened to me 13 years ago. I was laid off and put on a recall list for six months, after which I was to receive my severance pay. I had been laid off for 4 1/2 months when I was called back.
    It was a painful decision to go back, especially since I was to start two weeks later as an irregular extra at the metro daily in my area. If I had taken that chance and gotten on full-time before the '90s ended, I'd have probably had enough seniority to survive their recent layoffs. Now, I've accepted a buyout (to avoid likely layoff) at my current shop and am awaiting the finalization of my termination date.
    I was the only person laid off in '95 - it went down while I was on vacation. Apparently, the word from JRC HQ was that a copy editor had to go. The ME tried to argue that a less senior person in another area of the newsroom should go, but failed. They tried to go with only two copy editors (and me working as a part-time correspondent) in the meantime, but the desk was overloaded and ghastly mistakes got into the paper. I was finally rehired after a shakeup in which the ME (arguably the best I've ever worked for) was fired.
    There were three open positions at another JRC paper (I was willing to move at the time), but I wasn't hired. Companies in other fields often take care of employees who've lost their positions at one location, but then again, we're talking JRC here.
    If I'd been married at the time and could ride Mrs. T's health insurance, maybe I'd have stuck it out with the big-time opportunity. I wasn't in position to take that chance, though.
  12. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Active Member

If you've been unemployed for longer than the severance pay was alleged to cover -- if you've been out 10 weeks and you got 12 weeks of severance -- maybe there's some legal ground or contract language that says you owe them the balance (in this example, two weeks).

But if you've been out longer than the period of pay, can't see how they could expect money back.

Take the jobs where the checks cash until you find something else.
Draft saved Draft deleted