1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lagrange, Ky.: Sports Editor for Oldham Era

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Central-KY-Kid, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

Note 1: You're a one-man shop covering three high schools. Although you're considered metro Louisville, very little U of L coverage done by the Era.

Note 2: It's an LCNI shop. I've been with LCNI for 12 years and KYSportsWriter has been with me at the same LCNI place for more than 5 years. No furloughs that I know of. No hiring freezes. LCNI offers great health insurance (pays for most of my diabetic stuff) and good incentives (I've got more than three weeks of paid vacation to use this year not counting birthday day and personal days).

Note 3: As an LCNI paper, you can get help from Elizabethtown (me and KY), Bardstown, Henry County, Shepherdsville, Springfield, Lebanon and other LCNI papers in KY should one of the Era's three teams play one of ours.

Note 4: Current sports editor, Jason Stamm, is gone in less than two weeks. He's moving up and moving out of state. Jason is good people and if you contact him (via twitter or facebook, he can probably give you more info).

========================

http://www.lcni.com/jobs/index.php

Sports Editor

The Oldham Era, a 5,500 weekly centered in Oldham County, Ky., a bedroom community of Louisville, is seeking a sports editor. Oldham County is home to three high schools -- Oldham County, South Oldham, and North Oldham. Qualified candidates much possess a bachelor's degree in journalism and have a firm knowledge of AP style. They must also be proficient in the use of Adobe Creative Suite, especially InDesign, and will be expected to design The Era's sports section on a weekly basis. This person should have experience scheduling stringers and have the experience and drive to use social media. The sports editor will be encouraged to create new ways to increase sports coverage and will be expected to deliver daily news to The Oldham Era's website while developing no less than three to four pages of content for the printed version. The ability to work independently is essential. This is an exempt salaried position and residence in the coverage area is required. Interested persons should apply to: Jacquelyn Stoess Hack, Editor, The Oldham Era, at editor@oldhamera.com Click here to view full details

http://www.lcni.com/jobs/fulljobs/SportsEditorOldhamEra.txt

2. printit

printit Member

I remember when this paper was Mackey Patterson as Sports Editor and Kit (drawing blank on last name) as Editor.

3. bbb1978

bbb1978 Member

Total. Dream. Job.

Seriously though, it's good you guys like it or have good things to say about it. Sometimes small dailies or weeklies truly do take care of their employees - the way things oughta be - the way big owners of big Metros sometimes don't.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

How affordable is living in the coverage area? Isn't Oldham considered the well to do part of the burbs?

5. printit

printit Member

Oldham is well to do in that a large number of people moved there 35 years ago to avoid busing. There are still very affordable parts of town the further east you go. Also, the entire area has become more commercial, adding more apartments throughout the town.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I've been to LaGrange a couple times. It's a cute enough area. :)

7. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Good for Jason. He is good people. We collaborated a lot back in when we were both with Rivals. Workaholic.

8. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

He's going back to rivals and I don't blame him ... as publisher of a rivals site for a perennial top-25 program from a BCS conference.

Not that this has anything to do with you Matt, but I don't feel like making two posts.

That being said, the Oldham Era is far from a dream job. Preps, preps and more preps. Very little writing help. Pretty sure they don't use stringers.

However, Oldham County is a nice 'burb of Louisville. The three high schools are far from horrible in athletics. And like I said earlier, I'd put LCNI ahead of many paper chains.

Is it a destination paper, no. But Mickey Patterson made a name for himself there with the Kentucky media and Stamm is moving up because of his work there.

9. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

My first paper out of college, good place to work. Good sports in the area, one of the best school districts in the state. It's basically a suburb of Louisville, but very little time for UofL.

I lived in Louisville and commuted. I would do that because Oldham County is a family area and kind of boring. And you can't afford to live in Prospect or Goshen.

I would recommend. Great place for a newbie to get their start.

10. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Ad says person has to live in the county. I guess they changed that policy after you left.

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Is supervising stringers sufficient to make a job exempt?

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I've been exempt salaried at my last two jobs and I have NO supervisory experience.

Draft saved Draft deleted