1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LaGrange, Ga. sports writer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by TheEck, Sep 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boots

boots New Member

I don't know if that's the case but the bottom line is that the kid saw a better avenue for his life. He's no doubt making more money and is happier.
    That's what really matters. Life is too short to spend it being miserable and broke.
    Should he have found a better way to resign? Yes. However two wrongs don't make a right and to me, Kevin's move was vengeful and as an administrator, he should know better than to put a personnel matter on the web.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Putting lies on the Web is much better.

3. boots

boots New Member

I guess you know more about that than anyone.
    Now, you get in the last word or do what you do best, lock the thread. You're trying to create a confrontation. If you can't just relate to the topic, how about not posting. Just because you're a moderator doesn't make you a God.
    The topic is about the actions done in LaGrange. Not what you think about me or I think about you.
    Instead of trying to be "hip" or "cool" to show that "you're one of the guys", just moderate instead of instigating. That seems to be your thing of late.
    Again, if you have a personal issue with me, PM and we can discuss it. But take the blocker off because one-way conversations don't work.
    I think that pretty much surmises everything but go ahead and attempt a cheap shot to end this conversation so we can put the thread back on course.

4. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Doc, it would be lying because the gig was related to the newspaper business.

5. prhack

prhack Member

Preface this response with two things:

1. I know Eck and have worked with him in two different shops.
    2. I disagree with the way he handled the initial posting (understand the sentiment, but better not to go there).

That said, I think it's a bit much to say he "ripped his former employee a new one." As I recall, he stated a fact (albeit cheekily) that his No. 2 had left after five weeks (can't imagine that a statement of fact can be grounds for a lawsuit, but then again, I'm not a message-board lawyer).

The eck did eventually expound on the situation, but only after having his professionalism and integrity questioned by multiple posters. We can argue all day about whether he should have shared these details. One inescapable reality, however, is that the guy bailed with no notice. Given that fact, the eck would have done us all a service if he had posted the dude's name. As others have noted, he's not going to put this on his resume, and when he does decide to leave Auburn (or is asked to leave), prospective employers may be caught unawares.

Like many in the business, I can identify with the guy jumping ship when a better offer came along. Most of us have done it at least once. Novelist is exactly right when he says that you have to look out for yourself. HOWEVER, no matter how sweet the deal -- or how bad the situation -- I never failed to work a two-week notice. If that's what this guy did (and I have no reason to doubt the eck on this one), I have no sympathy for him.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

prhack, I hate seeing others' dirty laundry on here.

If the kid who left came on here and started trashing the place left and right, I'd be equally testy.

Not giving notice is bad. We're all in agreement.

But to have a personnel manager, no matter how high up on the food chain, decide to unload on a public message board, that sucks. Names or no.

It's one thing to say to your buddy at a gathering, "that schmuck left my staff after five weeks and didn't give notice." It's another thing to come on here and come off as a tool about it.

For all I know, Eck is a wonderful dude. I wish him the best. But who says his personal unloading stops here? Who says he doesn't rip the next guy for leaving because dude only gave him two weeks notice, not four?

7. boots

boots New Member

Agree. The guy left on the wrong terms but two wrongs don't make a right.
    The bottom line is that there's an opening in LaGrange. There are worst places to be.

8. prhack

prhack Member

Boots, on that we can both agree. Never worked there, but from everything I've heard, it's a pretty good gig for a small daily.

9. prhack

prhack Member

Wicked, I realize it's a slippery slope we're standing on here. Obviously, people could make up all kinds of things about former employees and post them for all the world to see. Still, I'd like to think actions have consequences, and somebody bagging on a notice just rubs me the wrong way.

That said, I think we can all agree that this was the best outcome for all involved. The old No. 2 is safe and sound in his new position, and as a result, somebody else is going to land a pretty good job in the land of the Grangers.

I love happy endings :)

10. TheEck

TheEck New Member

My purpose on beginning this thread was to let folks know about a job opening and why it was open after a short period of time, which is why I mentioned the writer leaving after five weeks. Simple as that. It wasn't to run the guy down. I think it's an excellent job in a nice community that'll help somebody move up the ladder in this business. But I will stand by my belief that you simply do not leave without giving notice. I have never once done anything but shake someone's hand and wish them well when they've left, and I've maintained contact with most of them. If you get a better offer, you'd be foolish not to leave. So if folks like Boots (and dear God does he need to get a life, by the way) want to continue to rip me, then have at it.

11. boots

boots New Member

Eck, they say a lot of nice things about you. I don't rip people but what you did was wrong. You're upset that the guy left you without two weeks. That's completely understandable. What isn't understandable is your releasing privileged information on the web. If you think that's a rip, then fine, it's a rip.
    Two wrongs don't make a right.
    As for your side comment, I need to get a life. I have one that is pretty fulfilling. I think you have bigger problems than worrying about if I have a life.
    Good luck in your search. From what I'm hearing, a lot of people are interested in your paper.

12. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Eck, good luck in your search. Just make sure you check out any gaps in the resumes. :) Sorry this happened to you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.