1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LaGrange, Ga. sports writer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by TheEck, Sep 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Editude

Editude Active Member

Pointing out, as an opinion, a perceived error in managed judgment is not self-righteous. Maybe the next time an editor feels left in the lurch by a leave of "whopping" xx time, he or she would take a breath and move on.

2. Brookerton

Brookerton Member

You have no clue what your are talking about.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

You are right, I have no clue since I said a scenario may be happening. ::)

Someone is being a tad defensive. Enjoy your weekend.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Interesting guy to be saying this given his famous thread (which of course shouldn't count because, well, it didn't happen). But, still.
    All he said was "a whopping five weeks." Guy leaves me after five weeks with no notice, I'd probably do the same thing.

If you plan to bail after five weeks and don't want to get ripped for it, stay away from this one.
    If you're looking for what sounds like a decent job, apply.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

You would do that, on this message board?

I sincerely doubt that.

Why pile on?

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Someone dicks me after five weeks - no notice - I just might.
    Job searches are a lot of work. A lot of work. You do the work, you get somebody who is the right fit *** five weeks and gone with no notice?
    Yeah, I probably would.

7. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Again, I don't blame Eck for calling him out. What that dude pulled was crappy. Just up and quit with no notice? Doc, I'm the one who said a five-week gig on a resume wouldn't look good. So he doesn't put it on his resume. That means when he applies for some other gig he's lying. It's just better to be honest. I had a three-month gig that didn't work out on the news side. I still put on my resume. When asked about it, I explained I didn't like being a one-person bureau. Gave my two-week notice and left for another job. That's how you handle it.

Let's suppose this dude tries for another newspaper gig. How does he explain the five-week gap? He either says what happened or he lies.

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

How is it lying? What if he worked at a McDonald's for five weeks. Should he put that on his resume, too? Omission is not a lie.

9. boots

boots New Member

Which is totally unprofessional and vindictive. No personnel matters should be discuss on these threads. You got a problem with someone, there are other ways to deal with it. That is not cool on any level.
    If that is your stand, I consider it very shallow.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Sucks to be you then. Can't believe you have the stones to say personnel matters shouldn't be discussed on these threads, after your "trip" to HR.

11. boots

boots New Member

Let's get a few things straight. 1, I didn't name anyone. 2, It was a situation. 3, Those are two completely different situations. If you are trying to compare them, you're failing. What you are doing instead is using the forum to make an attack on me.
    And before you say that I am attacking Kevin, I am not. I don't approve of his handling of this situation. I felt he could have just posted the opening and let it go at that. If someone asked what happened to the new guy, all he had to say was that he decided to go elsewhere.
    Instead, he not only took a shot at the lad, he also said where he was going. That wasn't anyone's business and it definitely shouldn't have been posted on a message board.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Sorry Boots, I back the SE. I dont know him, but I can understand his disgust with the way the writer bailed. If the writer said, "It's not working out for me" or something to that effect, yeah I can see your point. But from the way if sounded, the writer stayed until he got A) a better offer or B) played the paper until he heard from the job he really wanted.
    Either way, it seems like the writer played the paper. And that's wrong.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.