1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LaGrange, Ga. sports writer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by TheEck, Sep 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

Kevin is not calling the ex-staffer out, but is just stating a fact. The dude left after five weeks and did it in a way that leaves the remaining staffer in a big time lurch. I'd be a little unhappy at that guy too. So cut Kevin some slack.

2. boots

boots New Member

The guy left. It happens. But it is a personnel matter. Kevin's coming on the web stating the things he said is borderline legal suit action.
    If I was the kid, I might lawyer up.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

So you can't say for sure what you would do in Joe Schmoe's shoes?

That's all I wanted to hear.

And hey, maybe you love your shop. But if people are leaving right away to go to a smaller paper or get out of the business, maybe that's an indictment of the newsroom.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

He wasn't named. How does he have a case?

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I'll agree, as you tell it, that was crappy.

But is it our place to know that on a message board?

6. boots

boots New Member

I'm not a lawyer and I don't think you're one either. People are sued everyday for lesser offenses.
    The bottom line is that the SE shouldn't air a personnel matter on the web. Period. There's no way around it.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Boots, you're exaggerating. Doubt the kid really has a suit here, though given the nature of this profession, if he lawyered up, the paper likely would cave.

Doc, it's pretty transparent who the kid is. His byline suddenly disappeared from the paper, and the guy from the paper stated publicly on this message board where he's headed. I'm sure you can add A and B and confirm employment easily.

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

That's assuming I care enough to look it up. Also, for the person who said a five-week job wouldn't look good on a resume: What makes you think he'd put it on a resume?

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Lots of things are assumed in life.

Sounds like a knee-jerk reaction to protect The Eck, who finds himself a man down in a two-man sports section and ripped his former employee a new one on a public message board.

10. boots

boots New Member

Which is my point exactly. The paper wouldn't be in that type of situation had Kevin not taken this matter to the web.

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I've never met "The Eck" and wouldn't know him from Adam. If he had a problem with what he posted, I'm sure he would have had a mod delete it by now. It's not for me or you to act self-righteous in telling him how unprofessional he is. Let him deal with the fallout, should there be any.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

And he will receive a bunch of it, trust me.

You're right, though, self-righteousness is not my strong suit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.